MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Haiti. . .

Started by Bill Cravener, January 13, 2010, 03:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cravener

Haiti, what a terrible disaster!

Why does man continue to build and live along earths fault lines?
My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

dedndave

because - they are everywhere, maybe ? - lol
otherwise, that would be a hell of a commute   :bg
it's not my "fault"   :P

Bill Cravener

Dave, you drunk? The Red Cross fears around three million people affected by that 7.2 quake. Christ, what the hell is so funny about that??

My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

ecube

Quote from: Bill Cravener on January 13, 2010, 03:48:09 PM
Dave, you drunk? The Red Cross fears around three million people affected by that 7.2 quake. Christ, what the hell is so funny about that??

Bill,
Haiti is a beautiful place to live, and I understand the natives not wanting to leave their home, put yourself in their position. It's unfortunate that earth quake happened, and hopefully the people affected are alright, or too much damage hasn't been done, but on the same token a lot of people die everday. It's out of your control, and everyone hands death differently, Dave maybe trying to make light of the situation, or maybe he doesn't care to an extent. Either way I don't think it's fair to get mad at him, I mean if you heard WAN in china died yesterday, would it honestly bother you? Yes it's not a good thing, and to me it's uncomfortable, but nothing I can do, besides try to live my own life to the fullest, and provide best life I can to me and mine.

Bill Cravener

I am always concerned when a large number of lives are lost by catastrophe or war. Now let be clear, I am not a religious man but I do care about the human race. It's just in my nature.
My MASM32 Examples.

FORTRANS

Hi,

Quote from: Bill Cravener on January 13, 2010, 04:26:05 PM
I am always conserved when a large number of lives are lost by catastrophe or war. Now let be clear, I am not a religious man but I do care about the human race. It's just in my nature.

Good.  As for your original question, I would say that it
is that we have short memories and few easy options.

Regards,

Steve

dedndave

i wasn't aware until you mentioned it - and i looked it up on the internet
of course, i am concerned about the loss of life
what i thought was funny was the question you asked about living near fault lines
they are on every continent - hard to avoid them, really
and - many may not show much activity, but that just means they are due for some
the shifting tides and tremor activity are inter-related - activity in one spurs activity in the other
we are in for more of this type of thing - and it will affect land masses all over the world
it seems that Indonesia is the first place to know about it
the fact that it is occuring in Haiti is a precursor for more activity in the western hemisphere

oex

It is certainly tragic.... The world's tallest skyscraper has just been unveiled in dubei it can withstand 6 richter scale tremors.... I know little about tremors but I would expect that if you can build the worlds tallest skyscraper to withstand 6 then there is a technology issue at fault here if these small buildings couldnt survive 7
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

http://www.hereford.tv

ecube

Quote from: oex on January 13, 2010, 05:27:16 PM
It is certainly tragic.... The world's tallest skyscraper has just been unveiled in dubei it can withstand 6 richter scale tremors.... I know little about tremors but I would expect that if you can build the worlds tallest skyscraper to withstand 6 then there is a technology issue at fault here if these small buildings couldnt survive 7

haiti use to be the poorest country in the america's, now it's second I believe, so applying tremor protection a luxury that's not practical for a that region. Even the presidents palace sustained a great deal of damage.

oex

Quote from: E^cube on January 13, 2010, 05:36:48 PM
for that region

yet we can put millions of dollars of rover on mars
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

ecube

Quote from: oex on January 13, 2010, 05:38:41 PM
Quote from: E^cube on January 13, 2010, 05:36:48 PM
for that region

yet we can put millions of dollars of rover on mars

exploring another planet is abit different than dumping funds into a poorer country. Trust me I have issues with a lot of things, "rappers" getting payed millions to act like idiots and "talk" on a mic, that's not even music, while teachers who help shape peoples lives get payed nothing.  But as a business man I get it, the rap music makes millions of dollars too, as entertainment to simple minded individuals, while the teacher directly doesn't help make money.

oex

Makes you wonder if we forgot the value of money doesnt it.... It tends to be off in a little subclass of it's own these days

Bill Cravener

I'm just glad to hear we are already on the way down to Haiti with humanitarian aid. They are saying there could be 100's of thousands dead. Think about that, women and children crushed like bugs. Terrible thing!
My MASM32 Examples.

oex

Yeah I really cant imagine, we dont get anything like that in the UK, tv pictures tell a story a world away, sorry these disasters make me frustrated of late.... pizazz news reporting what it is these days

hutch--

Bill,

I have only seen a few of the photos in the news but it looks terrible. I know Haiti is a poor country and where you have poor people they don't have the economic mobility to avoid living in dangerous places and have the least capacity to respond in times of disaster.

We have an occasional quake here on the east coast of OZ, roughly about every 20 years or so but they are short duration, usually about 20 seconds. I have seen 3 in my lifetime, all around the 7 mark and the last one trashed a lot of buildings about 100 miles up the coast in Newcastle and a number of people died in some of the buildings that collapsed.

On the bright side, I was in the kitchen during the Newcastle one which could be felt here in Sydney, after it hit my mum came down and chewed my ear for doing something that shook the house, I had to explain to her that it was an earthquake.  :P
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php