MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Assembly without headers

Started by CooPs, March 08, 2007, 02:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooPs

Hi!

I wanna experment with making bootable binary code, my goal is to make some kind of hello world OS, but I have no idea where to start. All of the tutorials I found on the web is crappy, and for unix systems only. I figured knowing how to build stuff without headers in MASM32 is a good start. Is this possible? Then how? :o

None of the switches I found for ml.exe seem to make it able to build without headers.

Cheers!

PBrennick

CooPs,
If you read the license, you will see that you cannot do that unless you have a 'paid for' version of ml.exe, the free version that comes with MASM32 or GeneSys can ONLY be used to create applications that will run within the Windows OS. There are no exceptions. You could contact Microsoft directly to see if they will allow you to do this but don't hold your breath while waiting. I went through those hoops when I got permission to add ml.exe to GeneSys and it took months to work out the details and I am known in their organization. It made no difference. I think they make you wait to test whether you are serious or not.

On the plus side, there is POASM, you definitely could do it with THAT assembler and it is very similar to ml.exe

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

CooPs

Aha. Not suprised to be honest. Its microsoft. :eek

I guess I'll have to try POASM then, checking it out.