News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Another source for Visual C++ 2005 with ml.exe

Started by GregL, January 25, 2007, 09:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

I just found that Visual C++ 2005 (without the IDE) including ML.EXE 8.0 is in the 'Microsoft Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) for Windows Vistaâ„¢' available here.  At a quick read, the EULA looks pretty liberal. I don't think there is a restriction on commercial use. It can be found in the '...\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0\VC' folder.

u

Could you paste the EULA contents here?

I downloaded the setup.exe, despite being on a win2k PC (they require WinXPSP2), and I get "Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application". Size is 410,408 bytes.
Please use a smaller graphic in your signature.

GregL

License.htm and Redist.txt are attached in a zip file.

[attachment deleted by admin]

u

You may not:
use the software for commercial software hosting services.

Now, isn't this a bit confusing, as the last 4 used words can mean 3 absolutely different things? Since it's not understandable which word encapsulates/describes what :S . Or my understanding of English is mediocre :/ . A hyphen should remove its ambiguity.
Still, in its worst meaning it only discards your option to make a type of server apps :). This means that all of us can use it.

There's no limitation that you _must_ target your apps for Vista. You can target just about any Windows. Pity it won't even install on masm coders' PC if they use win2k :(.

GregL

Quote from: UltranoPity it won't even install on masm coders' PC if they use win2k.

That is a shame. It does require XP SP2 to install it.

sluggy

Guys,
i have some clarification for you. When using the express (free) versions of VS2005, you are fully permitted to create commercial software with them.

So you are now probably asking "so why would MS allow us to use these for free?". The reason is because the compilers are free (you already have them, they are part of the .Net framework), and using the VS IDE is a lot more productive than using notepad or a third party editor. Also the express versions are stripped down versions of the IDE - there are many things they are not capable of doing, for instance they do not accept addins.

A lot of this stuff is documented, you just gotta know where to look - the blogs of various MS teams and project leads are a good place to start.

GregL

Quote from: sluggyWhen using the express (free) versions of VS2005, you are fully permitted to create commercial software with them.

You can't use the MASM 8.0 for VC++ 2005 Express to create commercial software.

The point I was trying to make is that the new SDK includes MASM 8.0, without that restriction.

I guess I should have worded that better.

u

Just to note that VS2005 Professional Edition also contains the limitation "[you cannot]  use the software for commercial software hosting services." . [Received a copy from the company I work for, a few days ago]. It has ml.exe version 8.00.50727.42

GregL

Quote"[you cannot]  use the software for commercial software hosting services."

I have no idea what that means.

hutch--

Just a guess but it sounds like you cannot set up a facility on the internet to build source code using Microsoft tools.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

GregL