News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

I must be Crazy or ...

Started by daydreamer, February 02, 2005, 06:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daydreamer

working on a 256b demo and other small assembly programs which takes max a few kb and html tutorial, thats software part of my hobby

hardware part of my hobby: I just built a comp with RAID 2*160 gb which I failed to get my OS to boot from, so I plugged a 120gb to boot on and my old 8gb =448gb and 1.5 gig ram+ havent yet decided what new gpu to buy so I still only have 128mb vram
and I am thinking about put in exotic cooling etc

256byte versus 448gb and 1.5gig ram...

hutch--

daydreamer,

Its a sign of insanity, I have just added a dose myself. Wanted to put a dvd writer in my spare p4 but it already had 3 disks and a cd writer in it so I bought a high speed PCI IDE card but could not get it to work. Remembered the name from the boot data of the company who made it in Taiwan so I went to their web site and downloaded the drivers for it and away it went. The floppy provided with it had the wrong drivers on it. The upside of the IDE add on is it will handle various versions of RAID with what appears to be up to 4 disks. Might try it one day.  :P

Gutted and re-arranged the box so I could fit the new dvd writer into it and even got the floppy to work again, it did not like being jammed in between two hard disks and produced errors. installed the dvd and the nero software that came with it. 2 reinstalls later it actually will write to some dvd's but not to rewritables and while I can produce a data dvd with it, it currently will not write a dvd movie properly.

Next move is to see if Pioneer have a firmware upgrade for it so it works on more media like the earlier version that I have working properly after at least as much messing around. Unstated in their technical data is it SHOULD be placed on the secondary IDE channel as the master and preferably without a slave after it.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

ventsyV

Do you still use that flopy drive ?? I do from time to time,but it seems thats only me. Few days ago, I was at Circuit City and I looked at the PC they had for sale. The newer models of HP DO NOT have flopies.

Tedd

Yeah, it seems there's a conspiracy and floppy drives are being phased out because "people don't use them"
I must be very strange then - I do!!

It's all usb pen drives these days :lol
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

00100b

I must admit that I still use them, but mainly for a Ghost boot-disk.

thomasantony

Hi,
    I DO use floppy drivers as my CDwriter blew up for some reason(dunno why). I also have to use the floppy drive to boot my OS as it doesn't have HDD support yet. Yeah my mother complained that the new HP PC at the bank where she works doesn't have a floppy drive.

Thomas Antony
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Programmer's Directory. Submit for free

drhowarddrfine

I'm seriously thinking of taking my PCs out of their cases and just screwing the components into a piece of wood; everything out in the open so I can get to it all easily.