News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Winexplorer

Started by donkey, January 31, 2006, 02:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donkey

As promised, here's a new version of WinExplorer with a few new things. IActiveDesktop as well as IShellFolder and an enhanced registry browser...

www.assembler.ca

I have moved the file to my website
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Vortex

Very nice work Edgar, thanks for sharing it with us.

donkey

Thanks Vortex,

One of the fun things is that right clicking on a bitmap allows you to set it as wallpaper, I remember seeing an example of setting the wallpaper using the registry and thought it would be useful to demonstrate the proper way to do it using IActiveDesktop. As well, two very useful macros for GoAsm, CoInvoke and CInvoke.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

ipadilla

Hi Donkey,

I am afraid I have found a bug. Please click the right button of the mouse on the right Winexploree´s windows. Sometime it crashes.

ipadilla 

donkey

Quote from: ipadilla on February 01, 2006, 08:08:10 AM
Hi Donkey,

I am afraid I have found a bug. Please click the right button of the mouse on the right. Sometime it crashes.

ipadilla 

Hi ipadilla,

I am afraid that I have not tested under 98 SE but when I get a chance I will check it out. There are some functions that require NT but they should be taken care of as they are mostly psapi related and are loaded programatically. Were you selecting any particular menu item when it crashed or just clicking the mouse button ?

Edgar
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

ipadilla

Hi Donkey,
sorry but my post was not clear enough. You can reproduce this bug clicking the right mouse button  on the right Winexplorer´s windows several time. Here you are some information about this bug:

WINEXPLORER produced an stack  error on  module WINEXPLORER.EXE de 0167:004077aa.
Records:
EAX=00551fff CS=0167 EIP=004077aa EFLGS=00010283
EBX=0064f3e8 SS=016f ESP=0064ebd0 EBP=0064ecd4
ECX=0064eb00 DS=016f ESI=54010040 FS=107f
EDX=0064ebd0 ES=016f EDI=0064f39c GS=0000
Bytes en CS:EIP:
,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x
stack dump:
,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x

Beste regards
ipadilla

donkey

Thanks ipadilla,

I will look into it, the EIP address seems to be in the WNDPROC for the main window so it should be easy to track down.
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

donkey

More fun stuff added, hex viewer, plugins etc... See the readme file.
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

ipadilla

Hi Donkey,
really a nice  utility. Winexplorer is running perfectly under windows 98 SE.
Donkey will be difficult to modify Winexplorer in order to get 2 panel like
the old Norton Commander?. That would be interesting...
ipadilla

donkey

Hi ipadilla,

That would probably be a rather large rewrite as it is currently mostly single threaded and there would be issues with some global variables I would have to work out. But I will consider it anyway.

I am interested to knwo how the processor information works with various processors, for example is the company name and processor identification correct on them ? As well, the processor speed needs some independant verification though that function has been in my libs for some time without a bug report.
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

ramguru

Hi, Donkey
My CPU(AthlonXP 1800+) speed differs a little in winexplorer than it really is. (In your app 1458.888 MHz and in other that I trust more (cbid) - 1529.83MHz). Maybe because of my CPU winxeplorer seems to me very slow (srollbars are adjusted like using SetTimer). I see also some problem with registry browser: let's say I open HKEY_USERS, then I can't go deeper just clicking on plus sign I have to select item that I want open (very inconvenient). Anyway winexplorer is wonderful tool for learning purpose  :U

donkey

Hi ramguru,

Yeah, I never used LVHT_ONBUTTON with the registry browser, I have a tendancy not to use the buttons and always just click or double click the label, once opened the buttons should work though. The scroll bars are just Windows scroll bars, I do not process any scroll messages in the application. The CPU speed may vary depending on alot of factors, I use highest priority for the function that calculates it but it depends heavily on the timestamp clock, there for the resolution is limited. This would be most noticable in higher frequency clocks as the accumulated error would be exagerated.

WinExplorer is simply a test bed for some ideas, it is not meant to be a release type application, it is simply a learning tool and a good demo of some programming concepts.
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

ipadilla

Hi Donkey,
here you are some information. The attached picture information is according to my computer.
The only difference I can see, is the "Processor speed". If you need something else, please ask me.
ipadilla

[attachment deleted by admin]

paranoidx

i grab a screen shot of the display..

other than a char or 2 out of space looks fine..

[attachment deleted by admin]

donkey

Well, new upload on the top. I have inlined the hex viewer functions in the hopes that it will solve the problem that some are having with scroll speed. If it doesn't the next thing is a data cache but I want to keep it simple so I am trying to avoid that. I have added a viewer for zip files using zLib, I have included zLibstat in the distro so you don't have to go searching for it. Fixed a couple of small incosistencies that were bugging me though no-one would likely notice them but me. Nothing major has been added this time, mostly a fixup. I am approaching the size limit for attachments to the board so I don't know how much more I can add before Hutch gets p***ed off at me for hogging his bandwidth. I will have my domain name and site by the end of the week so I will probably move the file next weekend to my own web space.

Whoops there was a bug in the zip compression ratio - if the file size was 0 it would crash - fixed it up
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable