News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Partition Magic

Started by shankle, July 15, 2005, 04:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

On the Symantec site  Partition Magic is $70.

There are other places out there where Partition Magic sells for about $20.

What's the catch???

Regards,
JPS
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

sluggy

Who knows. You might find that the cheap places are not "authorised" dealers, which means they don't have the price pumped artificially high. You might also find that if they are not authorised resellers you will not be able to get support from Symantec, although that should not stop you as all answers are just a little google away.

Mark Jones

Partition Magic came "free" with my latest motherboard.

Not that anything in life is ever really free... They probably cost $5 or something and that price just gets tacked on to the price of the motherboard. Same thing with cars too; it's the "mark-them-up-to-mark-them-back-down" game.

I think, from a software retailer's perspective, PowerQuest is just trying to sell as much product at as big a profit margin as possible. PQ execs probably rationalized, "if people are dumb enough to go to our homepage and buy a RETAIL product (at RETAIL prices) then hey, more power to them!" Whereas people who build their own PC's would never go to powerquest.com to buy PM at retail prices, they order from cheaper sources. When sales are still lacking, PowerQuest is still able to turn profic by including that "free" CD with your motherboard, which you HAVE NO CHOICE in. Of course, if you want PM then that's fine... but if not, you're buying another useless silver disk. If nothing else, they make a nice lightshow when placed in a microwave oven... :bdg
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Xor Stance

Well, not completely against Symantec. But it's true that Norton AV 2005 performance increase but this software feels better than
the one from Symantec. http://www.partition-manager.com/ Only concentrated in partitions, it wouldn't be that bad and it has a certificate known by Microsoft.

AeroASM

Quote from: Mark Jones on July 15, 2005, 04:03:45 PM
PowerQuest is just trying to sell as much product at as big a profit margin as possible.

I do not think that pursuing both "as much product" and "at as big a profit margin" are both possible simultaneously.