News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Deleting Norton antivirus and AOL

Started by shankle, August 27, 2005, 02:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

On a friends computer I tried deleting the Norton antivirus and AOL. Used the add/remove
and it left lots of both of them still on the machine. I then tried deleting by hand. The .dlls
would not delete. Got the access denied message.
I hate programs that are this invasive.

Any ideas?
JPS
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

arafel

Quote from: shankle on August 27, 2005, 02:16:56 AM
On a friends computer I tried deleting the Norton antivirus and AOL.

So what did you expect? He got two application installed that simply reject each other - something that supposed to protect against malicious software and AOL. Hence the faulty condition.

But seriously..
Try re-installing. Then uninstalling again. And of course reboot, as comrade already mentioned.

Vortex

Instead of NAV, I would suggest you to use Antivir Personal.

Jimg

I recently went through this.  I had to run through CrapCleaner, manually edit the registry, search for every occurance of symantic and norton and delete them, run CrapCleaner again, reboot, repeat.

Mark Jones

Geez, that sounds an awful lot like the practice of removing malware...
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

PBrennick

If you think that is bad, try removing MSN Messenger.  I think it contaminates over half of the registry!  BTW:  For the removal of DLLs that resist removal, try Safe Mode.

Also, remember, people, before installing ANYTHING, set a restore point and you will not have these problems because you can always restore the machine to the previous condition with NO garbage in the registry.  We are our own worst enemies.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

hutch--

I can think of one nightmare when setting up an older machine for a friend, I tried to install the ROXIO CD writng software in it and the install kept breaking but every time it dumped between hundreds and thousands of entries in the registry. The uninstall would not work to remove them either so I had to manually clean up the register. I would personally like to see the registry restricted to OS components only and all external software forced to managed their own INI file settings. At least you can find the damned thing and delete it.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

PBrennick

Hutch,
A restore point would have prevented the nightmare.  But I do agree with you, the registry gets too much use, I have never cared for it. , seems like no one wants to use .ini files any more.  Not much, anyway.

Paul

Mark Jones

Paul, do many people use XP? It seems like a lot of people think XP is junk and are not using it. I can't count the number of times I've fixed things simply by reverting to a working restore point. :)

PBrennick

Thanks Mark,
I forget that not everyone has that luxury.  I guess I forget about the old windows versions.  Sorry about that, Hutch, senile decay is at work agaiin.  Still, the registry 'can' be backed up which would accomplish much the same thing.

Interesting Avatar, looks like you are taking over where Xor left off...

Paul

Mark Jones

Quote from: PBrennick on August 29, 2005, 10:37:56 PM
Interesting Avatar

Thanks. Someone said to make your avatar interesting since you have to look at it a lot. Well... :bg

looks like you are taking over where Xor left off...

Naah! I think I've become too lazy to do half the things he done, especially at the end there... :eek

PBrennick

Mark,
I am only referring to his tastes in Avatars, nothing else.

Paul

shankle

Did the SAFE MODE thing and was able to delete most DLLS. HOWEVER, in Norton in
Common Files\Symantec shared I was leary of deleting most of those files because of
what else they might foul up. I guess the Norton company never heard of a nice clean remove.
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress