masmforum WebSite

Directory has a force field :-)

Started by GreenTea, January 06, 2009, 11:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenTea

Mission: Possible....someday

Trying to delete one directory.

What eye have tryed.

1. Boot in safe mode- won't let me delete, says I don't have permissions. hmmm.(logged on 

as Admin.) 
2. Boot using a floppy boot disk - it can't see any drives ??
3. Tried deleting us Bart PE CD

Tedd

There is actually a "take ownership" permission. Which means, even if you're admin, you can't necessarily take ownership without this permission being set.
So, first try setting "take ownership" (and "change permissions.") Then edit the permissions again and take ownership of this folder (and its files and subfolders.)
You have to go through properties:security -> advanced:permissions, then select 'Administrators', Edit..., then adjust the permissions (possibly removing inherited permissions.)
If that doesn't work immediately, try playing around :wink

P.S. You need to turn OFF "use simple file sharing" (explorer:tools->folder options, view, 'use simple file sharing') and be running XP Professional (otherwise booting into safe mode on XP Home works, apparently.)
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

GreenTea

Quote from: Tedd on January 07, 2009, 11:52:51 AM
There is actually a "take ownership" permission. Which means, even if you're admin, you can't necessarily take ownership without this permission being set.
So, first try setting "take ownership" (and "change permissions.") Then edit the permissions again and take ownership of this folder (and its files and subfolders.)
You have to go through properties:security -> advanced:permissions, then select 'Administrators', Edit..., then adjust the permissions (possibly removing inherited permissions.)
If that doesn't work immediately, try playing around :wink

P.S. You need to turn OFF "use simple file sharing" (explorer:tools->folder options, view, 'use simple file sharing') and be running XP Professional (otherwise booting into safe mode on XP Home works, apparently.)

Thanks Tedd.

I have tried resetting permissions, but will try what you suggested.

If it doesn't work, I may hover a small magnet over the hard drive and format, re-partition, re-install XP, etc. :-)

GreenTea

Quote from: Tedd on January 07, 2009, 11:52:51 AM

Thanks SO much Tedd.

When I have time, I will type up a help file and post.

I changed permissions, took ownership, etc.

I was then able to get rid of the directory.

I made some screenshots of the permissions screens and put them in my backup directory.

Tedd

No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.