News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Disassembly information

Started by pro3carp3, February 01, 2005, 06:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pro3carp3

When disassembling an exe with QEditor, I don't see any intialized data anywhere.  Why is this?
LGC

hutch--

Its not written to do that. Clive compiled that version specifically for MASM32 but it only decompiles the code section. If you have some use of more data you will need to chase up a tool that is designed to do that. Some debuggers will produce the disassembly as well.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

white scorpion

i would suggest ollydbg, it is a debugger but disassembles the code as well. i use this tool all the time to figure out where my program goes wrong during development :)

also W32Dasm is a tool i often use.

give them a try, they are both free to use.

kind regards

P1

Welcome pro3carp3,     :U

You will find some the best people in the world, come here to get answers, as well as give them.

If you like getting and giving help in Assembler, this is the place for you!!   :clap:

Look forward to you participating with us.   

Just for the record, Reverse Engineering (RE) is not allowed here.  Some EULAs permit diagnostic debugging of their supply programs or programming aids.

We are about writing the "Best In Class" software using assembler tools.

So what is it are you disassembling?  And what are your goals in doing so? 

We are bound to close this topic for legal reasons.  I hope you don't become like some first time posters and go away because you can not answer these questions legitimitly.

Regards,  P1  :8)

white scorpion

Just for the record, Reverse Engineering (RE) is not allowed here.  Some EULAs permit diagnostic debugging of their supply programs or programming aids.

We are about writing the "Best In Class" software using assembler tools.

So what is it are you disassembling?  And what are your goals in doing so?

We are bound to close this topic for legal reasons.  I hope you don't become like some first time posters and go away because you can not answer these questions legitimitly.

Regards,  P1 
i don't see any reason thinking he is using a disassembler for RE'ing someone elses program (without permission). there is nothing wrong with disassembling / debugging a program to find out where it goes wrong when you are developing that program.

i think you should wait for a response from pro3carp3 before telling him it is not allowed ;)

no offense mate :D

pro3carp3

Thanks to all for your kind responses.  I used the disassembler only to look at my own program to see how it compiled the macros and such.  I've been programming as a hobby for over 20 years in mostly basic, starting with the TRS-80, Apple II, & Commodore 64 in high school.  I did a little bit of work in Commodore 64 machine language many years ago, but am otherwise a beginner in assembly.  Professionally, I work in the insurance field, but have developed Access database applications for my company.  Recently, I decided that since VB6 is on the way out & I didn't want to be tied down to the .net framework, I would look into assembly and was quite surprised to see all the material on the web, virtually free for the taking.  I read Randall Hyde's Art of Assembly (several times) and now am using MASM.  I'm sure I'll be back with plenty of questions.
LGC

P1

Quote from: white scorpion on February 02, 2005, 06:57:43 PMi don't see any reason thinking he is using a disassembler for RE'ing someone elses program (without permission). there is nothing wrong with disassembling / debugging a program to find out where it goes wrong when you are developing that program.
white scorpion, This will makes twice the fact that you are reminded of the fact this board is USA based and must comply with US Laws including DMCA.  As far as warning pro3carp3, he has some experience in this, it was just an up front warning.

Regards,  P1  :8)

Mirno

If you just want to see macro expansion, add "/Fl<name.txt> /Sa /Sn" to the command line when invoking ML.

It'll generate an expanded listing (note that all equates will be in there too, so you need to scroll down a whole lot to get to real code.
I find list files to be much more readable than disassembly.

Mirno

white scorpion

Quotewhite scorpion, This will makes twice the fact that you are reminded of the fact this board is USA based and must comply with US Laws including DMCA.  .
i know the rules, and that's exactly why i don't think pointing someone to the rules and telling him you will close the thread BEFORE he violated them is a bit out of order.

no offsense mate ;)

pbrennick

white scorpion,
Two words, be careful.

The decisions of a moderator are final and are not open to negotiation.
Paul

P1

Quote from: white scorpion on February 04, 2005, 12:15:47 PMi know the rules, and that's exactly why i don't think pointing someone to the rules and telling him you will close the thread BEFORE he violated them is a bit out of order.
I would hope that every new member read and understood the rules fully before posting.   But being a moderator here has given me the experience of the fact that the new programmers generally do read them, and the more experienced programmers generally do not read them.

I know for a fact, if they did read the general information posted in here, we would not have so many RTFM posts.  ( RTFM = Read The Fun Manual )

Regards,  P1  :8)

white scorpion

Quotewhite scorpion,
Two words, be careful.

The decisions of a moderator are final and are not open to negotiation.
Paul
it is not like i'm telling him to change his desicion, i'm just giving my opinion. my opinion is based on the fact that i hate preconceptions and i have found that a lot of people have the same preconceptions against me as well. that's why i reacted like i did. in my opinion someone is innocent until proven guilty ;)

And personally i don't care if the person who said that was a moderator, a fellow member or the president of the united states, i would still give my opinion. it is a forum isn't it?!

QuoteI would hope that every new member read and understood the rules fully before posting.   But being a moderator here has given me the experience of the fact that the new programmers generally do read them, and the more experienced programmers generally do not read them.

I know for a fact, if they did read the general information posted in here, we would not have so many RTFM posts.  ( RTFM = Read The Fun Manual )
i can not blame you for your reaction, i see the same things in other forums as well, but like i said before, i live by the rule that everyone is innocent until proven guilty :)

Also the reason why i reacted was that Hutch already replied on that post and he didn't think it was necessary to say something like that, so why would you come over it while Hutch gave a clean and simple answer to his question?

Like i said, no offense mate  :cheekygreen: