News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Debuging in x64

Started by RedXVII, May 31, 2006, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedXVII

Hi all. My shiney new pc is up and working with windows xp profesional x64 edition. 32-bit Olly doesnt seem to work and i cant see an x64 version of Olly :( Does anyone know if theres one about?

If not, alternatives?

Cheers  :U

redskull

WinDBG has a 64-bit version freely available (which I prefer it to Olly any day of the week).  I don't have a x64 machine, so i can't vouch for its function, but one would assume the first thing a new version of Windows would need is a good debugger :lol

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/install64bit.mspx

regards,
alan
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government

RedXVII

The new version of windows is actually ok. The only problem ive encountered so far is using the 32-bit debugger. Its goes completely crazy. Im the opposite to you, id prefer olly to windbg. I downloaded the package and tried windbg, it worked ok with no problems, but i dont like it very much :'(

Anyone else got any alternatives?

paranoidx

IDA Pro? it has a 64bit debugger not sure about the free version tho.

RedXVII

Ill check it out IDA then - its just that i'd kinda fallen in love with olly  :'(

RedXVII

It seems i need to get the "advanced" or "64 bits" version of IDA, which probably means forking out large sums of cash. Its not supported in the evaluation or standard version. All i want to do is find out where this problem is in my 32 bit program, i usually do this pretty smootly with a debugger; I have not done much programming in the last few days cause i cant find the problem  - and its probably pretty simple. If i cant debug this, then im gonna just give up programming - i find debuggers to be incredably useful (when designed for user friendlyness), and if i cant find one that works, then im not going to waste my time with fruitless programming nonsense just to find silly bugs.