MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Damn hotkey comes back after restart

Started by mkey, December 02, 2005, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkey

Hi,

I've seen the instructions how to fix this ALT gr+Q shorcut to geditor, but the trouble is i just cant get rid of it. by the way, i'm using a croatian keayboard layout, alt gr+Q means "backslah". after the install og masm 32 package and changing the shortcut properties i get my backlsh back, but after a restart i find myself on the beginning. deleting the desktop shortcut to qeditor doesn't help like removing entire masm32 package from my system. alg gr+q allways tries to find qeditor.

help, i'm going insane here

Markec

MichaelW

Setting the shortcut key to "None" works for me, and a restart does not change the setting.

eschew obfuscation

mkey

Quote from: MichaelW on December 02, 2005, 07:48:57 PM
Setting the shortcut key to "None" works for me, and a restart does not change the setting.

Yes, thanx Michael, it appears that for MOST people this problem is fixed that way, but win XP are known for erratic and exceptionally stuborn behaviour

regards

Markec

hutch--

Markec,

Just make sure you close down your Win version properly and set it so it saves its settings on exit.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

mkey

Quote from: hutch-- on December 03, 2005, 03:04:33 AM
Markec,

Just make sure you close down your Win version properly and set it so it saves its settings on exit.

Hutch,

now you leave me somewhat confused. If you mean I should perform a normal shutdown, then my reply is: I did, as I always do. Unless the system is not responding (in those rare circumstances). The hotkey (ALT gr+Q)  is restored after the restart as a system wide shortcut to qeditor.exe, but the hotkey entry in the desktop shortcut to geditor.exe remains "none" as I manually set it after the install. Deleting the shortcut, or the masm32 package does not help. Furthermore, I have my ALT gr+Q working properly only in the time interval from after I remove the hotkey from the desktop shortcut after the install up to the next system restart. And this can be repeated as many times as one would want. To simplify, if I delete the package masm32 and then reinstall it and remove the hotkey from the shortcut ALT gr+Q works correctly, but only until the reboot.

Thank you for your help,

Markec

hutch--

Markec,

All the install program does is set a desktop icon with a hotkey. It is not continually run after that. If you change the hotkey yet it comes back the next time you boot the machine, then something is either restoring the old hotkey, desktop setting or similar which has nothing to do with MASM32. It is only done on install once and it is done with a VBS script that the install creates, runs then deletes so there is no way it can be reactivated.

I would be looking at either your OS settings or perhaps your OS installation if it will not retain the changes you make on your desktop.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

mkey

Oooookay,

it seems I was able to fix this. Well, "fix" is wrong word, the correct thing to say would be that I found a workaround. Simple, pimple - I went to User Accounts created a new account, loged in under that new name and the hotkey - like in a magic trick - disappeared. Now I can "backslah" all i want. Somewhat incovinient because it will be necessary to make all the settings on the new account, and then to delete the old one. Where i come from it is said - zasto jednostavno kad moze komplicirano. It means - why take the simple route, when there is a complicated one, or something like that.

Well, thenx to you all

Markec

mkey

Ooookaaaayyy,

it' seems I was NOT able to fix this #?!#$%!. The problem has arised from its ashes. I made a nice import/export of my settings with Settings Transfer Wizard and I had my backslash back, but only for a short while. After a reboot (but of course) everything was the same - ALT gr + Q does what it shouldn't do. Ah, well, who needs that backslash. I can allways get by with the character map. It's just as practicle if not more. Instead of pressing the ALT gr+Q I just srf to the Start >>> Admin Tools >>> System Tools >>> Character map and there it is: \ , 005C, Reverse Solidus.

Markec