MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Stubborn empty folders need deleting

Started by skywalker, September 13, 2005, 06:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skywalker

>  wrote :
> > In XP, I am trying to delete some new folders that have
> > nothing in them. It's not letting me.
> > I'm guessing that  it was originally setup to deny
> > deleting folders, but I need to. I'll need to learn how
> > to delete them and then re-apply the original settings.
>
> Use "Process Explorer" to close the folder's handle, then
> delete the  folder in Windows Explorer.
>
> http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
>
>
> Instead, you could:
> - start cmd.exe (start > run)
> - kill explorer.exe (ctl-alt-del > processes)
> - delete the folder in cmd.exe (rd <FolderName>)
> - restart explorer.exe (ctl-alt-del > file > new task)
>

I tried both methods and am getting an Access Denied
message.

sluggy

Both people have given you information that is not fully correct. There are several reasons why you may not be able to delete them:

- they are being locked by anti-virus software or the windows indexing service, or by something else running as a service or in the process space of a host
- you do not own the folders or have rights to delete them
- there may be a group policy in effect preventing you from deleting them

If option 1 is correct, you may find it difficult to delete the folders as you won't necessarily have permission to shut down the process locking them. Either use a bootable linux iso, or create a startup disk, boot into it, and delete the folders.

Option 2 can be caused by someone else taking ownership of the files, or by another person or an application setting restrictive DACLs on them. In this case, log on as administrator, do not try to change the permissions on the folders, just take ownership and then delete them.

If it is option 3, you better go talk to your sysadmin :)

skywalker

Quote from: sluggy on September 14, 2005, 06:39:10 AM
Both people have given you information that is not fully correct. There are several reasons why you may not be able to delete them:

- they are being locked by anti-virus software or the windows indexing service, or by something else running as a service or in the process space of a host
- you do not own the folders or have rights to delete them
- there may be a group policy in effect preventing you from deleting them

If option 1 is correct, you may find it difficult to delete the folders as you won't necessarily have permission to shut down the process locking them. Either use a bootable linux iso, or create a startup disk, boot into it, and delete the folders.

Option 2 can be caused by someone else taking ownership of the files, or by another person or an application setting restrictive DACLs on them. In this case, log on as administrator, do not try to change the permissions on the folders, just take ownership and then delete them.

If it is option 3, you better go talk to your sysadmin :)

Let me try option 2 first. How do I log on as an administrator. There isn't any sysadmin, just mass confusion with some occassional calmness. :-)

P1

skywalker,

Please post a complete path and filename ( if available ).

Regards,  P1  :8)

QvasiModo

If it's not your own box then you probably won't have Administrator rights. Just ask someone who does (like whoever performs system manteinance there).

sluggy

Yeah, it really does sound like you are trying to do something that you shouldn't, so i'm not going to say anything further until you explain more what you are wanting to do  :U

skywalker

Quote from: sluggy on September 15, 2005, 03:14:35 AM
Yeah, it really does sound like you are trying to do something that you shouldn't, so i'm not going to say anything further until you explain more what you are wanting to do  :U

From a previous quote:
>  wrote :
> > In XP, I am trying to delete some new folders that have
> > nothing in them. It's not letting me.
> > I'm guessing that  it was originally setup to deny
> > deleting folders, but I need to. I'll need to learn how
> > to delete them and then re-apply the original settings.

More info

I have some empty folders that I want to delete, Folders and Folders(2)
It takes forever to save some Certificates of Analyses files (MS Word) that I have to save.

Nothing malicious here, just some cleanup at my job.
[The back store room is getting close to a hazardous waste dump. :-)  ]

No sys admin here
Turnover is complete changeover every 3 months (no kidding)
They do backups cuz I saw the server

Thanks.

P1

Then you need to find out who is the Network Administrator and then discuss the file rights issue with him.

As an Network Administrator myself,  I not too keen to users working around security in place for a reason.

QvasiModo

Quote from: skywalker on September 15, 2005, 11:40:47 AM
No sys admin here

:eek

P1

No sys admin here
I do not believe that their is no 'sys admin'.  Because who ever has the server password is by function the Administrator.  Walk up to the server and ask anyone around who has the password and you will find the functional Administrator.  The backup person is a good place to start.

skywalker

Quote from: P1 on September 16, 2005, 01:31:44 PM
No sys admin here
I do not believe that their is no 'sys admin'.  Because who ever has the server password is by function the Administrator.  Walk up to the server and ask anyone around who has the password and you will find the functional Administrator.  The backup person is a good place to start.

The VP and Prez had those rights and they got rid of the folders for me.