News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Windows Messages

Started by Robert Collins, May 18, 2005, 03:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Collins

Anyone know where I can get a list of all Window's Messages (like WM_, for example) and what they do? I know there are WM_ and BM_ messages. Are there any other ??_ messages?

Mark Jones

Hi Robert, oh god yes there are probably 10,000 windows message messages. :) Do you have the Win32.hlp file? I think most are listed in there. Recently Paul and some others had zipped up the latest and biggest version of it, you can find the link here:

http://www.masmforum.com/simple/index.php?topic=1588.0
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Robert Collins

10,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was thinking more along the line of about a few hundred. WOW! Oh, well, thanks for the link. I'll just take it in stride. ::) :red

Mark Jones

Well perhaps 10,000 is a little exaggerated, sorry. :toothy :wink

But there are windows messages for nearly every control type and function imaginable, from edit box visbility to button types and bitmaps, even mouse messages, etc. The Win32 constants list in the above link does list most of the windows messages, since a "message" is really a static value - there are a lot of them defined in windows.inc.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

thomasantony

Hi,
  You also define your own Message values sometimes for synchronising threads(is it called synchronising) and also for non blocking sockets.

Thomas
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Programmer's Directory. Submit for free