News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

New Solar OS released 2004_12_25

Started by BogdanOntanu, December 25, 2004, 04:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbrennick

Hey, you are the one doing all the neat work, not me!!  Thank you for the nice reply, though.

Paul

Farabi

Hallo mr bogdan. Can you made Sol OS run from harddisk or flash disk? Diskette is easyly get damage and also many virus spread from diskette. I cannot made an application for Sol OS also because it use FAT12 and windows cannot read it. Or maybe I must download something from any other site?
Those who had universe knowledges can control the world by a micro processor.
http://www.wix.com/farabio/firstpage

"Etos siperi elegi"

thomasantony

Hi,
   Almost all floppys nowadays are FAT12 and windows CAN read it AFAIK. It doesn't work only when the sectors are messed up by your boot sector.

Thomas :U
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Programmer's Directory. Submit for free

pbrennick

Farabi,
RU sure?  What version of Windows are you using.  I bet it is a hybrid.  You probably should reinstall it because that just ain't right?

Paul

thomasantony

Quote from: pbrennick on May 07, 2005, 01:17:50 PM
Farabi,
RU sure?  What version of Windows are you using.  I bet it is a hybrid.  You probably should reinstall it because that just ain't right?

Paul

It ain't polite to say ain't :bdg :bdg :bdg

Thomas :bg :bg :bdg :bdg :U :bg
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Programmer's Directory. Submit for free

BogdanOntanu

Paul:
====
Whenever somebody takes ammount from his peronal time in order to test SolOS it is actually helping me ;)
It would be wery hard for me to test SolOS on so many computers otherwise...
So its is just normal for me to be gratefull

Farabi:
=====
SolOS is NOT using FAT12. Booting from floppy and CD-ROM is easy.
Booting from HDD is also possible but the setup is a little complicated for now. In the next versions i will make it easyer to setup a boot from HDD environment.

SolOS uses its own kind of partition for the floppy: a raw partition. Same goes for the HDD: a partition with code 0x0D that is curently arranged linearely (not FAT12 or Fat16 or FAT32 or NTFS)

There is an application inside SolOS: HDD Explorer that is able to browse multiple FAT32 partitions but not FAT12 or FAT16.

I dislike dependency on a propretary filesystem such as FAT12/16/32 or NTFS. At least for bootingIi do prefer my own partition, arranging things plain linear makes booting 10xfaster on HDD.

Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

pbrennick

BogdanOntanu,
This thing about creating your own partition is a great idea.  Will it have to be a root partition or can it be a second boot partition on a HD that must boot c: to ntfs so my laptop can also load XP?  I really dislike the fact that companies such as Sony choose to force us to use NTFS by creating a 'rescue' cd instead of giving us a true copy of XP.  I rebuilt my granddaughter's DELL with a FAT32 and XP.  It works just fine.  Gee, let me think, what brand of laptop will I never buy again!!  Anyway, SolarOS runs well on my test box and when you give us an HD capability I will test it for you as a multiboot solution.

Paul

Farabi

Quote from: pbrennick on May 07, 2005, 01:17:50 PM
Farabi,

Paul

I use WinXP provided from the vendor, I did not change it or update it from the beggining. I use DDRAM memory, I changed from SDRAM because it not stable on my celeron 1.7 Ghz. But DDRAM is a litle slower than the SDRAM. I dont know where I read and have a conclution SOL OS use FAT12.

Bogdan:
I did test SOL OS and it working, even on my laptop. Floppy disk with menuet OS is able to read but when I change the diskette with Sol OS it unable to read.I think I understand now how to test my application. Keep up the good work.
Those who had universe knowledges can control the world by a micro processor.
http://www.wix.com/farabio/firstpage

"Etos siperi elegi"

BogdanOntanu

Paul,

The version released on 2005-03-01 can boot from one of the 4 primary partitions available on a HDD.

On the solar os site you can find instructions about how to install on a HDD partition;
I know it is a little complicated, but that was the first version booting from HDD :D
On the forums you can find some relevant issues/directions/talks also.

Basically you need to:
1)Make a primary partition (not extended) of whatever size you want but greater than 2MBytes.
This partition has to be below the 8G limit :D . You can make it whatever type as it will be changed next
You can use Partition Magic for making this partition esp if you already have data on HDD.Fdisk will refuse to make 2 primary partitions

2)Mark it with partition code 0xDD (I have used Ranish part.exe for this)

3)Boot SolOS form a floppy/cdrom, go to advanced menu, select the destination partition and transfer the OS on it. Take care.

4)You might need a boot manager to switch the active partiton in between WinXP/SolarOS. The above procedure only transfers SolOS on the HDD but it does not make the partition active so next time you will still boot XP unless you have a boot manager of some kind.  I have used XOSL for this  but maybe XP boot menu can do that also.

Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro