MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Read sectors in Windows 9x

Started by cakesy, April 25, 2005, 01:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cakesy

Hello,

Does anyone know how to do this??

I am interested in writing a program that access other partitions, such as ext2 from windows me.

Information on how to this on the web has been unhelpful, to say the least.

Thanks,

John

AeroASM

You need to write your own Kernel Mode Device Driver. I think you will have to write not only the code to decode the ext2 filesystem but also the code to access the IDE interface becuase I do not think that Windows provides any capability for this.

Opcode

Hi cakesy,

IMO, you should not waste you time with windows 9x kernel coding.

There is a open source ext2 driver for windows nt/2k/xp here:
http://ext2fsd.sourceforge.net/projects/projects.htm

Regards,
Opcode

cakesy

Hi,

Thanks for that, it seems like it will be tricky.

As to opcode, at the moment I am writing it for 9x, so that link doesn't help me, although it is interesting.

Thanks,

John

Gustav

Direct HD access for a Win32 program in Win9x is tricky. The DeviceIoControl API doesn't work, you have to write a 32Bit-Dll thunking down to a 16-Bit dll, then use DPMI in this dll for disk access. Don't do that if it isn't absolutely necessary.

MichaelW

Under Windows 9x a DOS program can access the HDD directly. If you need to do it from a Windows program, you could call a DOS program to do the actual access. The Windows program could pass data to the DOS program through the command line or through a file, and the DOS program could pass data back
to the Windows program through a file.

eschew obfuscation

Farabi

I think I did know it but the code is gone. Try to search it at board.win32asmcommunity.net . It direct access the port, but carefull experimenting with it, it could be dangerous.
Those who had universe knowledges can control the world by a micro processor.
http://www.wix.com/farabio/firstpage

"Etos siperi elegi"