MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

GoASM Assembler Manual Version 0.56.8

Started by Shooter, December 05, 2010, 05:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooter

Two questions about this manual:

1) Is this manual still good for the latest RadASM 3.0.0.7g's IDE? A help file was not included in that RadASM package, so I reverted to the help file that is available from http://www.quickersoft.com/donkey/files/RadGoAsm.zip.
"This instruction is no longer used for 32 bits. See GoAsm manual.
.model"

2) Is there a way to convert this .chm to something that can be searched?

Thanks,
-Shooter
Never use direct references to anything ever. Bury everything in
macros. Bury the macros in include files. Reference those include
files indirectly from other include files. Use macros to reference
those include files.

donkey

.model is a MASM directive , it is not available in GoAsm and can be ignored/deleted. Since GoAsm does not support 16 bit segmented models (everything is FLAT) and the x86/x64 switches set the processor type there is no need for it.

Use <ctrl>F to search the help file, an old standby :)

Not sure what you will find useful in RadGoAsm, it is for RadAsm 2.x, you are running 3.x. Be careful not to merge any ini files, they are incompatible. Also the directory structure I sent you for RadAsm 3.x is different, do not follow the 2.x structure. In reality you should be very careful if you use any of the advice found in RadGoAsm, it is not for your IDE.

Edgar
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Shooter

Quote from: donkey on December 05, 2010, 05:43:52 PM
.model is a MASM directive , it is not available in GoAsm and can be ignored/deleted. Since GoAsm does not support 16 bit segmented models (everything is FLAT) and the x86/x64 switches set the processor type there is no need for it.

Gotcha. If I needed to implement the .MMX set, is that automatically supported, or do they even exist?

Not sure what you will find useful in RadGoAsm, it is for RadAsm 2.x, you are running 3.x. Be careful not to merge any ini files, they are incompatible. Also the directory structure I sent you for RadAsm 3.x is different, do not follow the 2.x structure.

.ini files are in their separate 2x / 3x RadASM folders and will not be mixed by me.

In reality you should be very careful if you use any of the advice found in RadGoAsm, it is not for your IDE.

Is that to say that GoASM needs to be updated for the new RadASM Version 3 IDE? I'm assuming that GoASM produced the "See GoAsm manual" message.

-Shooter
those include files.

donkey

1. GoAsm supports SIMD (MMX SSE etc...) instructions, there is no need to specify them since it makes no distinction between processors, it just assumes .686/MMX/XMM and in reality most MASM programmers use that anyway so... Read the GoAsm manual though, register names for MMX XMM are slightly different than in MASM.

2. I just thought I would warn you that you have to watch it when dealing with the 2 versions of RadAsm, they are not compatible.

3. RadGoAsm needs to be updated, GoAsm is fine. RadGoAsm has nothing to do really with GoAsm, that is to say that it is simply a guide for setting it up with RadAsm 2.x, I will do a comprehensive one for RadAsm 3.x very soon, you already have most of it anyway ;) However there are still a few outstanding issues with RadAsm, I will be posting them in the bugtest thread of RadAsm when I get a better grasp on why they are happening.

3a. Yes it was GoAsm that produced that message, the .model directive is not supported by GoAsm, RadGoAsm has nothing to do with it.

Addendum. I think I should explain that GoAsm is not written for RadAsm, just as MASM is not. It is a stand alone resource/assembler/linker package that is not targeted to any specific IDE. RadGoAsm is a configuration example to help use GoAsm with RadAsm. RadAsm is an IDE that is simply a highly octane text editor with a few bells and whistles to make it more practical for programmers. RadAsm by itself does not compile your program it executes a command line that calls GoAsm and it does the work. I would be surprised if GoAsm was ever updated in order for it to be smoother to use with RadAsm, though it has been done in the past (as far back as RadAsm 1.x) there is little else Jeremy can add that would be of significance in that respect.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Shooter

Quote from: donkey on December 05, 2010, 06:20:35 PM
1. GoAsm supports SIMD (MMX SSE etc...) instructions, there is no need to specify them since it makes no distinction between processors, it just assumes .686/MMX/XMM and in reality most MASM programmers use that anyway so... Read the GoAsm manual though, register names for MMX XMM are slightly different than in MASM.

Good to know. When I get to the level of controlling audio and what not, I may have to refer back to this post.  :bg

Addendum. I think I should explain that GoAsm is not written for RadAsm, just as MASM is not. It is a stand alone resource/assembler/linker package that is not targeted to any specific IDE. RadGoAsm is a configuration example to help use GoAsm with RadAsm. RadAsm is an IDE that is simply a highly octane text editor with a few bells and whistles to make it more practical for programmers. RadAsm by itself does not compile your program it executes a command line that calls GoAsm and it does the work.

I pretty much had that figured out.

...there is little else Jeremy can add that would be of significance in that respect.

To that end... is there a form of consortium for collaboration in that maybe one day an official Developer's Network might produce something equivalent to M$DN and Visual Studios for Assembly Language?

-Shooter
those include files.