News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Tutorial for OllyDbg

Started by Gunther, November 28, 2010, 10:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunther

I've downloaded the latest version of OllyDbg. Is there any tutorial available?

Gunther
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

jj2007

There should be a help.pdf in the package. Furthermore, make sure you also have dbghelp.dll installed, otherwise symbols won't work.

dedndave

he mentioned that the support for symbols was not yet complete
but - the good news is that he's working on it   :U
this is a big difference - could have even been called 3.0

Antariy

Quote from: jj2007 on November 29, 2010, 12:18:26 AM
There should be a help.pdf in the package. Furthermore, make sure you also have dbghelp.dll installed, otherwise symbols won't work.

:eek :eek :eek

That's something strange - in 2.01 package is not contained the help. I have checked other (old package) and found a help. But that package does not contain dbghelp.dll. Well, some mess existed.

Gunther, download the 2.0 package of Olly - it contain the help. I tried to attach help a few times, but that fail... After some attempts, I found that help is too big to be attached as one file. :lol

Here is link to Olly 2.0 archive: "http://ollydbg.de/odbg200.zip"

Alex

dedndave

Antariy

Quote from: dedndave on November 29, 2010, 02:31:56 AM
dbghelp.dll is in the WDK

This dll included as standard since Win98, probably.

Olly 2.01 archive contains dbghelp.dll. I guess, author include that dll which he tested and know all bugs which it contains (sice some bugs features should be somewhere) :P

donkey

Actually, I have had a few conversations with the author of DbgHelp.dll at Microsoft and the recommended practice is to always include the DLL with your distribution. As a matter of fact Pat told me that he had to fight Microsoft legal to get a redistribution license as liberal as the one included with DbgHelp with the goal of making it as easy as possible to include the DLL in third party distributions.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Gunther

Thank you to all. I'll check out the hints and tricks.

Gunther
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

jj2007

Quote from: donkey on November 29, 2010, 04:58:08 PM
Actually, I have had a few conversations with the author of DbgHelp.dll at Microsoft ...

Note that symbols in Olly 2 work only with a later version of DbgHelp.dll. Mine was included with odbg201a.zip and is version 6.9.3.113