News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Reading raw debug symbol data

Started by donkey, March 28, 2010, 07:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecube

yeah I meant it worked without adjusting anything, I suppose I should just use the macro :)

ecube

beatrix your lib is weird, it doesnt display the instructions string correctly :\ idk why. you mind recompiling the latest versions or giving directions on how to?

Update I just compiled to a lib myself using visual studio 6.0 and its definitely not outputting correct strings :( is missings mov, jmp etc... some strings are even empty,ugh.

donkey

Hi E^cube,

Could you post an example project and detail the lines that have problems, I have used the lib in GoP but now I'm worried that the disassembly might have problems.

Edgar
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

ecube

Donkey,

here's an example of the latest lib that I compiled myself, aswell as the old lib found before on the site(that worked). you can try beatrix's lib too, neither output the write strings.

also I don't know why it's messing up, i'll have to try and find the reason in the c code.

donkey

Hi E^cube,

I'm in BC for the week but should be home Sunday, I will take a look at it then.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

beatrix

Hi E^Cube,

I think it is only a problem of compiler. Last version of BeaEngine are compiled with gcc and GoAsm can't use these versions. Just try to use the lib in the joined archive, it works fine.

ecube

Quote from: beatrix on July 23, 2010, 08:23:17 PM
Hi E^Cube,

I think it is only a problem of compiler. Last version of BeaEngine are compiled with gcc and GoAsm can't use these versions. Just try to use the lib in the joined archive, it works fine.

Thanks beatrix, I appreciate all the hardwork you've put into BeaEngine, it really is amazing. Even more amazing is the license, most people just use regular GPL which makes their project completely useless to me, you on the other hand took the more intelligent, considerate route. I commend you. I hope you consider putting up a donation button on your site  :thumbu

brixton

Hi all,

I don't know if you've found this, but with different linkers comes different symbol table usage.  For instance, my main gripe is with Cygwin's GCC (may be the same in the original GCC) where the 'Value' field of an IMAGE_SYMBOL structure does not seem to give a value which is an offset from the image base, but rather from the start of a data section (ie. a value of 0x20 rather than something in the thousands).  This is confusing my symbol table parser and I cannot see an obvious way around it..

Tom
If you love somebody, set them free.
If they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were..

ecube

Quote from: brixton on August 04, 2010, 03:38:54 PM
Hi all,

I don't know if you've found this, but with different linkers comes different symbol table usage.  For instance, my main gripe is with Cygwin's GCC (may be the same in the original GCC) where the 'Value' field of an IMAGE_SYMBOL structure does not seem to give a value which is an offset from the image base, but rather from the start of a data section (ie. a value of 0x20 rather than something in the thousands).  This is confusing my symbol table parser and I cannot see an obvious way around it..

Tom

OffsetToRva function should fix that.

brixton

Quote from: E^cube on August 04, 2010, 05:42:24 PM
Quote from: brixton on August 04, 2010, 03:38:54 PM
Hi all,

Tom

OffsetToRva function should fix that.

Hi E^cube,

Where is this function?

donkey

Hi Brixton,

Not sure about the OffsetToRva function, but there are many DbgHelp functions and I find ImageNtHeader / ImageRvaToVa very useful when reading PE files. I think its what you're looking for but if you need to go in the other direction SymFromAddr works just fine as well but requires a bit more setup.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms679291%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

This code is in GoAsm format and will enumerate symbols but it demonstrates how to use the symbol table and the Sym... functions:

EnumerateSymbols FRAME hFile, hProcess, ImageBase
LOCAL fsh:%DWORD32
LOCAL fsl:%DWORD32
LOCAL ProcessPath[2048]:%CHAR
LOCAL ihmod64:IMAGEHLP_MODULE64

mov D[ProcessPath],0

invoke SetLastError,0
invoke GetProcessImageFileName ,[hProcess],offset ProcessPath,MAX_PATH

invoke GetFileSize,[hFile],offset fsh
mov [fsl],eax

invoke SymInitialize,[hProcess], offset ProcessPath, FALSE

invoke SymLoadModuleEx,[hProcess],[hFile],offset ProcessPath,NULL,[ImageBase],0,[fsl],0,0

push eax,edx

mov D[ihmod64.SizeOfStruct],SIZEOF IMAGEHLP_MODULE64
invoke SymGetModuleInfo64,[hProcess],[ImageBase],0,offset ihmod64

cmp D[ihmod64.SymType],SymNone
je >>.NOSYMBOLS

pop edx,eax
invoke SymEnumSymbols,[hProcess],eax,edx,"*",offset SymEnumSymbolsProc, [hProcess]

invoke SymUnloadModule64,[hProcess],[ImageBase],0

invoke SymCleanup,[hProcess]
xor eax,eax
RET

.NOSYMBOLS
xor eax,eax
dec eax
ret
ENDF

SymEnumSymbolsProc FRAME pSymInfo, SymbolSize, UserContext

.CONTINUE
mov eax,TRUE
RET
ENDF

-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

brixton

Hi donkey,

Thanks a lot for the reply, I will bare this in mind (and perhaps implement it, if I have time.. the deadline is fast approaching).  Yesterday I found the cause of the problem:  the .bss section:

Quote from: wiki... the bss section typically includes all uninitialized variables declared at the file level (i.e., outside of any function) as well as uninitialized local variables declared with the static keyword. An implementation may also assign statically-allocated variables initialized with a value consisting solely of zero-valued bits to the bss section.

Hence, all of the global variables were actually present at (symbol table.Value+ImageBase+offset of .bss section) - this was found with some detective work and olly.

Tom

ecube

Donkey why did you use %DWORD32? according to your definition it's just a structure defined as DD which doesn't change depending on 34bit or 64bit? %INT_PTR appears to change though. Also here are some mov/cmp macros you can use for 32bit/64bit to auto convert.

%MOV(%DESTN,%SOURCE) MACRO
#IFNDEF WIN64
mov D[%DESTN],%SOURCE
#ELSE
mov Q[%DESTN],%SOURCE
#ENDIF
ENDM

%CMP(%DESTN,%SOURCE) MACRO
#IFNDEF WIN64
cmp D[%DESTN],%SOURCE
#ELSE
cmp Q[%DESTN],%SOURCE
#ENDIF
ENDM

%MOV(myvar,53)
%CMP(myvar,54)
jne >

donkey

Hi E^cube,

It is a very early draft and I never noticed, nothing more sinister than that :) But I believe that file size high (fsh) and file size low (fsl) remain DWORDs even when in 64 bit mode:

DWORD WINAPI GetFileSize(
  __in       HANDLE hFile,
  __out_opt  LPDWORD lpFileSizeHigh
);

Edgar
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable