News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

name of a c++ object

Started by Jeff, April 11, 2005, 11:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

ive been looking back on some old programs ive done in the past to see if i could write a more efficient version implementing new coding techniques and whatnot ive learned since then.  so heres a fairly stupid question:

is there a way to retrieve the name of an object?

(better if i showed an example)
suppose i had the following code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

class Object
{
public:
    Object(int n = 0) : number(n)
    {
        cout << "This Object, " << (((the name))) << " has " << n << endl;    //replace (((the name))) with "the name"
    }
private:
    int number;
};

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    Object MyObjectName(24);
    return 0;
}

My goal is to have (((the name))) be replaced by the actual name (for logging purposes) so that when i run it, i get this:

This Object, MyObjectName has 24

(forgive me for not using correct terminology whenever it applies)

sluggy

My C++ is a little rusty, but try doing a typeof on the object. If this was .Net it would be easy, you could just do a object.ToString().

Tedd

Objects don't strictly have names (as given by the compiler.)
If you need such a facility, then you have to write it into each the class eg. a getName() function.
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

doomsday

I might have an answer depending on which compiler you're using.

_Some_ compilers support a predefined macro "__FUNC__" which evaluates to the name of the current function.  For member functions it evaluates to "ClassName::MemberFunctionName".

If your compiiler doesn't support this, the Borland C/C++ compiler (v5.something) does and it can be downloaded from their site (free, but you have to register).

regards,
-Brent