News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Re: MASM now on the Web!

Started by drhowarddrfine, June 08, 2006, 09:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamanteus

It seems that Microsoft simple checking on us beta version of the assembler, because take from the pocket possible only ML and it's put in special file, as for intresting Varvars, so in WINDOWS.INC for 32 bit MASM (Version 1.30 Release 7 March 2006) from hutch file bub on line 17530  :

IMPORT_OBJECT_HEADER STRUCT
    Sig1 dw     ?
    Sig2 dw     ?
    Version dw  ?
    Machine dw  ?
    TimeDateStamp dd ?
    SizeOfData dd   ?
;    union
        Ordinal dw  ?
;        Hint dw     ?
;    ends
    rImport ImportRec <>
IMPORT_OBJECT_HEADER ENDS

NightWare

Quote from: jj2007 on November 28, 2007, 08:13:19 PM
The Microsoft Macro Assembler 8.0 requires the Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition to be installed on the computer.

it's not true... in fact there is no need of visualc++ 2005... just unpack the archive and rename the file to ml.exe that's all...

croconile

ecube

what would the reasoning behind microsoft not allowing you to use masm to develop commerical software? also this has been addressed before but just to clarify the compiler/linker in the masm32 package you can use to write commerical software just not open source?

Mark Jones

IIRC, the EULA bundled with MASM states that you can use it for commercial software, but you may not redistribute MASM or your source code, and you may not use MASM to make software for (the competitor's) OS's. Check the EULA, it's all there.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

travism

Wait so does this mean that the apps we create with masmv10 package that hutch and others created we cant sell the apps?

Mark Jones

"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

hutch--

Travis,

Have a read of the enclosed EULA for ML in MASM32, it specifically allows you to write software using it and to SELL that software. Prohibitions are that you don't use it to create software for competing operating systems, Linux under a Windows emulator or ReactOS being the example where you cannot use it. Microsoft will also not allow ML to be used to create "open source" software where you submit the tools and/or code produced by it to a more restricted licence like GPL or similar.

this simply means you cannot relicence THEIR commercial software or what it produces for competing operating systems or licencing systems.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

travism

Oh ok sorry about the misunderstanding! Thanks! :)

Bill Hudson

I downloaded all the version 8 express products. They installed in a folder named "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0 and my ml is version 9.0.30729.1 and my link says the same version number. However when I run Link /? it says this file mspdb80.dll couldn't be found, and it wouldn't run. I did a search and found it here ---> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\mspdb80.dll"

Anyone know whats going on here. Whats with this version? Before I found the binaries in there I tried to get Masm 8 and it said vc++ express 5 was needed and wouldn't install, even though I have version 8 of vc & vc ++ express...

GregL

Bill,

It looks to me like you downloaded Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Express Edition, which includes ml.exe version 9.0. And yes, it is odd, but link.exe 9.0 does have a dependency on mspdb80.dll.

If you already had VC++ 2005 Express installed, the separate MASM 8.0 download should have installed.

jj2007

Does anybody know why ml 9.0 produces larger libraries, about 9% as compared to ml 6.14? Executables seem to have the same size.

BlackVortex

Quote from: jj2007 on January 24, 2009, 01:15:58 AM
Does anybody know why ml 9.0 produces larger libraries, about 9% as compared to ml 6.14? Executables seem to have the same size.
A good start would be to compare the sizes of the sections.

Igor

@Bill Hudson
I had the same problem. This is how i fixed it:
You have to edit environment variable "path" by appending this string "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\vc\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\common7\ide".
Note that you will probably have to restart windows for it to update environment variables. After this is done, you dont need any dll files in masm bin folder.

BTW. credits for solution go to this thread -> http://issaris.blogspot.com/2008/04/creating-dlls-using-visual-c-8-on.html