News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Time Management Project

Started by nvidia5500, July 08, 2008, 12:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvidia5500

Hello guys! I just want your opinion about this. Btw, we are working on a 1 sem database project. We are really out of ideas, so we decided to build a time management project for a specific client(computer internet rentals). The thing is, we are working on a system wherein our client can know the time in and time out of the client's customers. The system should also compute the payment for the rentals an record the transactions. Because it is a database project, we are planning to use MySQL. Is this project feasible? We really have a tight schedule on this. Also our client wants to have the power to lock the desktops in the specific computers that aren't used by the  client's customers. Does anybody here in this forum how to do this? I think this is just pure api calls but can somebody shed light on this matter? Thanks

PBrennick

I used to moonlight for LanLine and Cyburban in the Greater New York area. As a result of this, I know that this type of software already exists. Is this a case where you just want to do your own thing or are you unaware whats out there. The software is not cheap by the way and uses sliding scale pricing.

What APIs are you referring to? I don't know of any that would do this and the software must be able to integrate with an existing system which is is usually BSD so a windows solution may be problematic.I have seen it done, but you must be able to parse the EXISTING client database unless you are designing a soup to nuts system.

-- Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

nvidia5500

Quote from: PBrennick on July 08, 2008, 01:18:23 PM
I used to moonlight for LanLine and Cyburban in the Greater New York area. As a result of this, I know that this type of software already exists. Is this a case where you just want to do your own thing or are you unaware whats out there. The software is not cheap by the way and uses sliding scale pricing.

What APIs are you referring to? I don't know of any that would do this and the software must be able to integrate with an existing system which is is usually BSD so a windows solution may be problematic.I have seen it done, but you must be able to parse the EXISTING client database unless you are designing a soup to nuts system.

-- Paul

Yup, we are already aware that this type of systems exist. But they aren't using any relational databases, just flat files. That is why we gave a shot to this project. Are you familiar with CafeZee btw? I think its similar to the software you said. Btw, the computers that need time management are WinXp's. So im referring to API calls from Winxp. I've seen other software that locks the desktop of the computer when the consumer's time runs out, or there's no user operating that certain PC. Does the software you handle before has that capabilities?

donkey

Locking a desktop remotely is a pretty simple task, just run the following command on the remote computer...

c:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

Or alternatively you can call the API directly using the local control program. The main server would have to signal the workstation to lock itself. You can also use a timer to signal the lock...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa376875(VS.85).aspx

Donkey
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

PBrennick

nvidia5500 
Yes, the software had that capability, they all pretty much do, I think. The thing I don't understasnd is your reference to a flat dastabase. Nothing could be further from the truth.. It uses a MySQL database and if I recall most of what we looked at before buying did exactly that. If you want specific information, I would recommend you contact Thomas Leonard at LanLine Communications. http://www.lanline.com targets the business market and http://www.cyburban.com targets the home users. They are also consultants so they can be contracted to help you though I don't think you are interested in that

The basic premise of the software is that not only must it handle the time management (timeclock), it must also handle the billing. All, automatically. You enter a client, set the rates and the bandwidth, and then sit back and stuff envelopes when the bills start rolling out. (A little joke, there, but that is essentially it; is it not?

Why lock up the desktop, though? Just don't let them through - it is easier. There are several ways to do that right from your servers. Remember, the servers are a gateway.

-- Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website