MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Newbie introduction

Started by m124z, January 04, 2007, 03:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m124z

Hello,
I am an experienced high level programmer and scripter (C++, Perl, VBasic, sh) trying to learn assembly programming, mainly for self-study to be a better systems technical person.
I am reading through the Intel Manuals, particularly the first one that deals with basic architecture, memory models, data types etc.
I am also working my way through Randall Hyde's "Art Of Assembly" and am currently on chapter 2.  I have been fairly put off with all the emphasis on HLA, even though the author says it is merely a means to the end.  Since there are quite a few good reviews of this book however, I have resumed reading it hoping that my patience with HLA will eventually pay off.

Besides HLA, I have also been trying out pure assembly using asm blocks in VC++ programs.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions for assembly literature, or how I could get better at assembly, I would appreciate it.  Thanks.
-Justin

gabor

Hello and welcome!

I am a bit wondering about that your are learing about architecture and memory data models only now. I believe C and C++ are very near to low-level architectures, so there should possibly be nothing really new to you. :U

Using asm blocks in VC can be really different than pure asm code. So the best way to learn assembly in my opinion would be to start coding. I suppose you'd like to code for Win32, so you can simply skip the memory segmentation, 16 bit alias real mode coding. (Of course it would not harm to know about these...)

The Art of Assembly book is supposed to be one of the best, though I personally haven't read it. There are many really good docs about asm, but I suppose the only thing a rookie asm coder needs is a reference of mnemonics. (like a C programmer needs a reference of libraries) After you know the mnemonics by heart it all becomes far easier.

I advice you to install the MASM package, there are about 20 tutorial projects. If you study them all, I am positive that you'll earn a wide view about asm programing.
There is a project called the Genesys Project that is intended to encourage and help coders who are new to asm: http://x86assembly.codegurus.org/
My other advice is to come here and ask questions. Here you can always find someone willing to answer a question.

I wish you joy with asm and a good time here on the forums

Greets, Gábor