News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Documentation of Win9x VxD Services

Started by Grendelbear, January 29, 2005, 12:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grendelbear

I am looking for specific, detailed, technical documentation on the Windows 95/98 VxD Services, especially those provided by VKD.vxd.  Specifically, I need to know the register contents and return values for the Services VKD_Filter_Keyboard_Input and VKD_Get_Shift_State, but I would appreciate general info on all the VxD services available.

I have recently been asked to write MASM VxD keyboard hook routines for the Windows 98 platform.  I will use MASM Version 6.14 and I have the Win98 DDK, but I can't find any online documentation of the service routines listed in VKD.INC, and Microsoft doesn't seem to provide any Win98 DDK info on MSDN anymore.  I plan to use as a starting point Wizard Mark Russinovich's Ctrl2Cap.VxD framework (www.sysinternals.com), but I need to go beyond the example he sets forth in his code.

Does anybody have a favorite 'bible' of Win98 System internals which would cover the details of these services, either online or in book form?

I consider myself a resonably competent and technical programmer, but I've been out of the low-level business since Win3.1, and the current WinNT/Me/XP info available doesn't seem to be relevant to Win9x.  I've googled all over (I think), and I didn't find what I need.  Thanks in advance!
- G

Rain Dog

You probably already know this but there are a few books you can look at:

Charles Petzold: Programming Windows 5th ed.
Jeffrey Richter: Advanced Windows.

Retsim_X

try the microsoft development network MSDN

it has a great section on vxds...

Vortex

Hi Rain Dog,

Petzold's book ( the 5th edition ) doesn't cover the documentation of Win9x services.

Opcode

The right book to read is:

Windows 95 System Programming Secrets - Matt Pietrek

Regards,
Opcode

Rain Dog

Ahh yeah, i knew i was missing one. I forgot about Mat Pietriks book

pbrennick

And don't forget
QuoteWriting Windows VxDs and Device Drivers, 2nd Edition, by Karen Hazzah. Windows 95 driver development

Paul

Grendelbear

Thank you all for some excellent references.  I will keep my eye out for them.  I think I have the first three or four editions of Petzold already, but the fifth will round out my collection nicely.  The Hazzah and Pietrek sound especially interesting.
Thanks again,
-- Grendelbear