MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Database development using asm

Started by johnsa, July 17, 2006, 01:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsa

Hey all,

I'm wondering what the best api/libs to use to access MS SQL Server from asm would be, normally I use .net for all my db work but it would be nice to have a high-speed interface into sql (not odbc) for doing some bulk work.

Any thoughts?

James Ladd

I would suggest starting with the 'C' libraries that are shipped with mySQL.
At least from memory they were available.

There are also some other 'C' libraries available for accessing databases.

zooba

Anything intended for C will be easiest to use with ASM. Try running H2INC.EXE on the include files to convert them, though you will probably need to do some manually to help out :wink

Cheers,

Zooba :U

Mark Jones

Hello, John is it? Welcome to the group. :bg

Perhaps take a look at SQLITE. It is apparently a simplified API and binary for SQL, maybe it can be useful. Good luck! :U
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

P1

johnsa,

Welcome Aboard !!!   :U

Forum 'Search' and Google are your friends for quick implementation.

Quote from: johnsa on July 17, 2006, 01:45:54 PMbut it would be nice to have a high-speed interface into sql (not odbc) for doing some bulk work.
ODBC is like VB in that it can be elegant and efficient when programmed correctly.  I say this because you will find a fair amount of ODBC code for MASM.  And you have the benefit of using the higher level function of SQL scripts processing, if you so wish.

The very best way to get speed from SQL is run procedures and make the server do the work, it's good at doing.

Setup for the ODBC is relatively painless for MASM too.

When I did a study of connection methods for M$ products, the time difference was not worth the extra effort of the extra coding and maintenance of named pipe code.

In a pinch, ODBC can be very useful at being targeted to a variety of data sources without changing your code.

Regards,  P1  :8)

zooba

Quote from: Mark Jones on July 18, 2006, 05:44:26 PM
Perhaps take a look at SQLITE. It is apparently a simplified API and binary for SQL, maybe it can be useful. Good luck! :U

I've used SQLite a lot recently (and am still using it heavily at the moment) and it won't communicate with other products AFAICT. Though it is a good library and extremely easy to use within MASM (and if anyone wants a VB6 DLL (written in MASM) for it PM me :wink )

Cheers,

Zooba :U