News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

BIOS

Started by Geryon, June 16, 2006, 07:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geryon

Hello again guys; I haven't came here for a long time. So, I'm in trouble with BIOS and I need some advice.
First of all, I  pondered how I could write a bios flash program, when I was codding a SMBIOS Info dumper. Then, I looked up Google but I couldn't find any adequent resource/article/reference.
I want to ask you those;
what type is bios's eeprom ? what is her flashing voltage ? if it is 12.75, how can I raise it ?
how can I access BIOS's pins ?

Where can I find reference ?
I'm experienced in eeprom flashing, can I flash my BIOS with a serial eeprom flasher ?

Thank for your time

stanhebben

The memory type/model, the flashing method, ... depends on your motherboard. You can't just write a generic flashing program, and you won't find any references. (except maybe for certain motherboards)

On most motherboards, you can take out the chip and put it in a (suitable) programmer, but even then it's risky business. Serial eeproms won't be used for bios memory, their serial nature would make them too slow.

Better stick with the standard flashing method: use the manufacturer's program.

Stan

Geryon

First of all, thank you for your reply

unfortunately, I wrote incorrent, I would mean "parallel eeprom programmers"
I have designed a parallel eeprom programmer, can I use that ?
Acutally how could I build up a suitable programmer.
And no heart feeling but non-existence of any reference doesn't sound realistic

asmfan

Just use documented I/O ports from real addressing mode. Try googling for those ports. Many software use it to access BIOS either on M/B or videocard... I think programmers cooperate with manufacturers on this type of modification... (e.g. RivaTuner)
Russia is a weird place

Casper

Uh, RivaTuner is mostly used for Video Cards.  That is not what is being talked about here.

Casper

Mark_Larson

It does vary from PC to PC.  I had a flash book that I got from Intel when I did BIOS programming at Dell.  The book had quite a large number of different flash chips and how to access them.  I am not sure if Intel makes this book available to everyone or not.  So you can search their website for it.  If not, you can try searching for a databook for your specific flash chip.

Hope this helps.
BIOS programmers do it fastest, hehe.  ;)

My Optimization webpage
htttp://www.website.masmforum.com/mark/index.htm

P1

Quote from: Geryon on June 16, 2006, 08:41:35 AMI have designed a parallel eeprom programmer, can I use that ?
Depends on the manufactures specification for that device.  But for the most part they run in families when it comes to packages and programming parameters.

Then comes the target of the programmed device.  Computers, Satellite Cards, etc.

Regards,  P1  :8)

ninjarider

i would say to find a flash program for your computer and work it backwords to find out what it does. from some of the stuff i've been looking at depending on your pc you should be able access your bios through certain int functions.