News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

RadASM link.exe freezes

Started by marcosadp, April 12, 2006, 05:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcosadp

Well, my problem is that when I compile a project with RadASM using MASM32, sometimes the link.exe freezes, but it gives me no output. I have to finish the process with the task manager. RadASM's linking progress bar keeps on going until I finish the process.

I already tried changing the arguments of it, and I tried different versions of masm, but still the same problem.

Cyas

marcosadp

Sory I was wrong. It does say something

warning LNK4033: converting object format from omf to coff

KetilO

Hi marcosadp

What OS are you using?

It would also help if you posted the Link command from project options.

You can also try to turn off threaded build.

KetilO

marcosadp

I'm using Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Command:
5,O,$B\LINK.EXE /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /RELEASE /VERSION:4.0 /LIBPATH:"$L" /OUT:"$5",3,4

I don't know who I trun off the threaded build.

marcosadp

Ok I finally turned off the threaded build option.
But RadASM crashes when it tries to link.

Mark Jones

Hi Marco, what version of LINK.EXE are you using? (Goto start, run, cmd, link.exe)

Maybe could you include your project so we can test it?
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

marcosadp

It says
'link.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

However, when I execute it whit de whole path it tells me:
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 5.12.8078

It happens with all sources I try to compile, not only with one special. It also happens with the examples that come with RadASM.

marcosadp

So, someone knows what's going on??

Mark Jones

If you open a dos prompt and type link.exe and it says basically "file not found" then there is a path problem. \masm32\bin should be included in your PATH statement. Check start, right-click on my computer, properties, advanced, environment variables, in "system variables." :U

It sounds like the other problem you're having is that link.exe is not in the location specified in the link command:

Command:
5,O,$B\LINK.EXE /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /RELEASE /VERSION:4.0 /LIBPATH:"$L" /OUT:"$5",3,4

The $B gets turned into "C:\MASM32\BIN" or whatever your \RadASM\MASM.ini file sets it to, look in there under [Paths]. (If you didn't install MASM32 to the C drive or moved it, this would cause the problem.) :wink
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

marcosadp

I guess that's not a error of path's... because sometimes, when compiling the same code, the linker works and sometimes not...

I can compile, but some times I have to end the linker's process and try several times.

andrejus

Hi,

While linking file i get from link.exe such notification:

C:\Masm32\Bin\LINK.EXE /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /DEBUG /PDB:"Addressing.pdb" /VERSION:4.0 /LIBPATH:"C:\Masm32\Lib" /OUT:"Addressing.exe" "Addressing.obj"
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 5.12.8078
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1992-1998. All rights reserved.

LINK : LNK6004: Addressing.exe not found or not built by the last incremental link; performing full link

I investigated Link.exe option descripions and found out that /INCREMENTAL is implied when /DEBUG is specified, i.e. when /DEBUG option is enebled then linker handles incremental linking. How i would get rid of this notification without inserting /INCREMENTAL:NO and leaving /DEBUG enabled.