News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Windbg is giving me fits

Started by FlyingDreadnaught, February 28, 2006, 02:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyingDreadnaught

Hello, I'm having strange problems with Windbg.  Earlier today it was running just fine, then I modified some code, went to start the debugging process and when I went to Step Into, the window to see my code didn't open up.

At first I didn't think it was a very big deal, as I was just looking at what was going on inside of the registers, but as I tried stepping into some more I noticed that nothing was happening to my registers.  So, I tried debugging other programs and had the same problem, so I reinstalled the entire masm.

The first thing  I ran (which was a sample program lifted from the installation disc so I know the code is correct) worked fine, so I tried my code again and had the same problem.  Well, I figured that it might be something in my code, so just to be sure I tried the sample program again and it had the same problem.

This is getting extrememly frustrating and I have no clue what might be the problem.  Any help would be much appreciated.

One other thing, when all this originall started happening another thing strange began happening.  Now whenever I try to open Windbg, it takes FOREVER to open up.  Literally 2 or 3 minutes.... I have a p4 2.7ghz processor, 1.5gigs RAM, and a 256mb GeForce 5900 Fx Ultra, so I doubt somethign like this would be using much of my system resources....

RedXVII

Sounds like a normal case of programs being annoying.

Try the olly debugger. It kicks serious ass  :U

PBrennick

If Windbg used to open at an acceptable speed you will not solve your problem by switching to olly though it is the best in my opinion.  Scan your system for virus infestation right away.  If you are already running a boot protector version of an already installed virus scanner, do not depent on it.  Run the scanner itself and do a full system scan including all your programs.  It will take a while but it is well worth it.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

FlyingDreadnaught

Thanks for the advice folks.  I tried out olly, and while it was very nicely presented, it got stuck in a loop that windbg didn't get stuck in so I'm not sure if I was using it right.  As for the virus scans, I thought much the same myself and I scanned with 2 different programs (norton's and pc-cillin) and a website scan (pandasoft) and found nothing.  So, I'm not sure what's causing the problem but I figured out how to fix the problem of it not loading my .exes.  If I go in and delete the .obj, .exe, .ilk, and .pdb; then rebuild them all from the .asm file it works fine.  Every now and then I have to do it again, but at least it's working now.

PBrennick

Looks like RedXVII was correct, then.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website