News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

New to the community, views, ideas

Started by Jojodi, February 01, 2006, 05:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jojodi

Hi, I've been into Win32 asm for the past week or so, and I'm interested in porting my favorite applications from the norm, to the wonderful world of small and fast executables (not to mention, with my own features). I really enjoy the task of optimizing code and squeezing as much power and size as I can out of my programs, so this will be perfect  :U
I'm interested especially in coding:

• A Word Processor - much, much later. (I'm not sure about how to render a page or how to go about typesetting etc.
  • Binary UseNet Reader - much in the style of Newsbin Pro, except I wish to make execution faster, and with a much cleaner interface
  • A mathematics package for solving expressions (also much later, just imagine...) and finding numerical roots
  • A pop3 Mail browser -- Probably my first porting project.

Anyone in an interest for coding a suite of commonly-used tools, please talk with me! I am still new, yet very interested in this technology.

[RADASM IDE + Masm :toothy]

ecube

I'd be happy to port a UseNet Reader with you. Also a good ircd written in asm is missing from the world. I bet we could write the fastest ircd ever, and I could even port the masm code to nasm and have it run on linux aswell.

hutch--

Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

zooba

Quote from: Jojodi on February 01, 2006, 05:35:40 PM
Anyone in an interest for coding a suite of commonly-used tools, please talk with me!

What sort of commonly-used tools are you interested in? There's a lot provided with the MASM32 package and there's some other projects floating around (<shameless self promotion>ASM Runtime</shameless self promotion> :U) which can really reduce GUI and string programming time/effort.

Feel free to ask about anything, there's many many years worth of experience to tap into here :wink

Cheers,

Zooba :U

u

Welcome, Jojodi! It's nice to see new members that have clear ideas on what they need ASM for!  :U

People definitely need a faster word processor! It's sickening how easy it is to outrun MS Word or OpenOffice in typing - you have to wait for the damn software even if you have hell-uf-a PC. But remember one thing: Although ASM optimizations are really important, if your app's global design isn't good, it could ruin the overall performance. In the beginning, don't think much on global design - you'll eventually reach that phase yourself.

So, good luck with the projects  :U
Please use a smaller graphic in your signature.

Jojodi

Sorry I couldn't reply faster! I was at school when I wrote original message and was swamped last night with my IB 4000 word essay paper (On Differential Equations no less haha... Gotta' love that Highschool). Thank you very much for the support and I am greatful for the interest. By "commonly-used", I meant programs like AIM, a web browser (much later though, I very much lack the experience for all of the components to that), the word processor aforementioned, A bit torrent client perhaps... Generally any program that is not going to kill me programming-wise that is in wide usage and could use a version that is smaller and faster  :bg I hope to collaborate with others and E^cube soon I hope. The NewsReader Project is coming after my POP3 Reader project, and then AIM after that perhaps. My whole philosophy deals with the fact that I hate hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL and seeing, for instance, AIM taking 20 MB or so for just as simple a program as it is. I'd like to see the world faster, smaller, and with more functionality.

Enough Ranting, school soon.

Thanks to the repliers,
Jojodi

Rockphorr

You must use OOP patterns. It will a more powerfull code.
Strike while the iron is hot - Бей утюгом, пока он горячий

Jojodi

Going over my plans this morning, I was thinking about the nessecity for a lot of Winsock usage. Is there a macro set for utilizing winsock simply? ("SendCommand, ,connection, stringhere", "Connect IPHERE,port", etc) or something that generally simplifies the bulk of typing that will simply be redone over and over throughout these programs? If not, I think I will create my own and share later.

ecube

Quote from: Ultrano on February 02, 2006, 04:58:16 AM
Welcome, Jojodi! It's nice to see new members that have clear ideas on what they need ASM for!  :U

People definitely need a faster word processor! It's sickening how easy it is to outrun MS Word or OpenOffice in typing - you have to wait for the damn software even if you have hell-uf-a PC. But remember one thing: Although ASM optimizations are really important, if your app's global design isn't good, it could ruin the overall performance. In the beginning, don't think much on global design - you'll eventually reach that phase yourself.

So, good luck with the projects  :U

Yah the thing with microsoft products is they usually design them for easy integration into other applications, not speed. That's why they created com, and put so much weight on it. Microsofts internet explorer for example is just a  simple gui that interacts with a com component(.ocx). This has been done on this forum aswell, I think I saw a 4kb program that that did this. Ms word is another .ocx you can use in your own software. So in that sense microsoft was smart because it gave sofware designers some of it's power, but if you want speed, use software and components designed for speed :)

ramguru

I look forward to knew MS Word clone in pure asm even though it's a real nightmare and tremendous job to create one  :( ...

Jojodi

In response to the COM model and such modulizations... That really isn't my target. As soon as I see how to impliment what i want, I will be using my own code, for exactly the opposite of what E^Cube was talking about: independent size and speed. I don't want my programs to depend on large libraries or DLLs which would negate the whole point of speed. For this reason, I'm keeping the entire Word Processor thing to a minimum. The POP3 client that I am working on now as my first project in this.. "series" will minimal translation of HTML. I know this sounds incredibly limiting, but CSS style sheet controlled, picture-full, etc isn't what this is made for... Yet. The version I am planning/coding right now is built for straight text with simple bold, underline, etc. Given my position in win32asm coding, this should be quite enough! lol. I'll keep you posted, and as soon as a working build worth showing is ready, I will start a thread for my family of projects.

Once again, the point of my project is to create small, very fast, and feature-full applications. There will be minimum dependence on third-party libraries or, for that matter, anything that I believe is slow lol. Anyone interested in showing me a Winsock macro set is also welcome. In any case, I'll probably build one when I get home today.  :dance:

Cheers,
Jojodi

gabor

Hello and wellcome!

It is always refreshing to read about open-minded newcomers with huge motivation and lots of plans. If you ever need help with your POP3 project, please contact me. The most, I am interested in the implementation of the network communication. Should you need to use XML parsing or any other parsing I would be glad to help you. I have created an XML parser library (namespace handling missing) and spent a lot of time with learning about the finite state machine (automaton), the base of a parser. (html must be parsed as well...)

About winsock I have a question: What is the main differrence between the ws2_32.inc and winsock2.inc? As I could judge, ws2_32.inc is bigger, and beside the basic procedures contains only WSA methods. (Most of the methods exist in winsock2.inc too, but their name don't start with WSA.) Is winsock2.inc for console mode and ws2_32.inc for 32bit windows programming? Sorry, if I asked something stupid!

Good work!

Greets, Gábor

xpcommon

Can I share ........   New here

Hi, I would come to say Hello to all forum members here. It is my first post here. in fact, I want to share my views with other people and make friends. 

gabor

Hello xpcommon!

Wellcome to the forum! I must say it was a wise decision to join if you wanted to learn asm or to be a memeber of a nice and friendly community.
Certainly it is encouraged to share your ideas since this way you might find people interested in the same work and develpoing in team is much better and easier.

Have a good time!

Greets, Gábor