Should I move from MASM 6.11 to MASM 32

Started by Peter.Hurrell, August 15, 2005, 11:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter.Hurrell

Ive written a lot of code in MASM 6.11, but have not yet seen MASM 32.
Is it just an upgrade?
Can I still write 16 bit code for 8086?
Will all my books be out of date?
Should I Move? :U

Vortex

Quotebut have not yet seen MASM 32

You are viewing this forum , you see a lot of posts concerning 32-bit coding  and you are asking such a meaningless question.

Man, are you kidding?

Mark Jones

Maybe Hutch should make a one-and-for-all "blanket" post answering the most common 16/32-bit questions, then we could just link to that? :bg

Seriously, no disrespect meant but we could have used that link about 10 times this week.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

GregL

Peter,

MASM32 includes ML.EXE v6.14, so yes it is an upgrade. You can write 16 or 32-bit programs with MASM32, but all the libraries and macros etc. that come with it are for 32-bit. MASM32 comes with a 32-bit version of LINK.EXE. You'll need a separate version of LINK.EXE for 16-bit programs, but you already have that, there is a newer version available for download somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly where. If you are writing 16-bit code, your books are already out of date. :bg By all means, jump in to MASM for 32-bit Windows, you'll like it.

Peter.Hurrell

Quote from: Greg on August 16, 2005, 04:19:48 AM
Peter,

MASM32 includes ML.EXE v6.14, so yes it is an upgrade. You can write 16 or 32-bit programs with MASM32, but all the libraries and macros etc. that come with it are for 32-bit. MASM32 comes with a 32-bit version of LINK.EXE. You'll need a separate version of LINK.EXE for 16-bit programs, but you already have that, there is a newer version available for download somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly where. If you are writing 16-bit code, your books are already out of date. :bg By all means, jump in to MASM for 32-bit Windows, you'll like it.

Thanks Greg

hutch--

Peter,

32 bit Windows is a different animal but its bigger, faster and simpler code wile having a lot more instructions to work with and fewer limitations. Console apps are a breeze but note that GUI apps are a fair bit more work. They work fine but you must learn this interface stuff to write GUI apps in 32 bit Windows.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Mike31

This is an illegal request.  P1

Mike31, Please see your other post and answer the questions there for your request.

Regards,  P1  :8)

sluggy

Quote from: Mike31 on November 27, 2005, 08:22:55 PM
This is an illegal request.  P1

Mike31, Please see your other post and answer the questions there for your request.

Regards,  P1  :8)

Mike31,
i will add to that: don't cross post the same question into different forums, and don't start new topics or requests in other peoples threads.

MusicalMike

32 bit code is easy in windows because you have function wrappers around all the calls to the kernal. In linux though, we don'thave this luxury. The number of times I have to use the system interupt instruction in linux is madening. I can only imagine what your going through trying to write 16 bit assembly code. Please do yourself a favor and move up to where you don't have to type int 21h all day, AAAAARRRRGh