News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Assembly Source Debugger BETA 1

Started by Nonameo, September 25, 2005, 09:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nonameo

Hey guys, a few weeks ago i had an idea that there should be a way to debug your programs while looking at your EXACT source code, code view in debuggers doesnt seem to have the same effect for me. So i decided to make my own.

ASD will be a debugger for MASM programmers, so we can debug whilst looking at our source code (like in higher level languages).

Attached is the 1st BETA of ASD, this contains everything you need to run it, and a sample program to test it + instructions to get you started.

please read INSTRUCTIONS.txt inside the archive

Features added so far:

Code analysis  (matches lines of the source file to code in the process)
Line highlight (to show the current EIP of the program)
Breakpoints
Single stepping the program  (F7)
Running the program  (F9)
ASD can read your masm.ini file to get the same syntax hilighting and background colours
ToolTips to show register values when the target program is paused
ToolTips support args when paused on an invoke line.

Please Note:  This is only a BETA version and should not be used to debug your programs for real

Please report any bugs to mighele@gmail.com

Thanks

-Nonameo-

[attachment deleted by admin]

MazeGen

Interesting, but why another source-level debugger? OllyDbg, WinDbg, PellesC IDE or Visual Studio and others are not good enough?

Nonameo

Thats a question i keep coming back to.

When i started the project, i didnt know there were ANY source level debuggers for masm, i didnt even know about /Zi and /DEBUG:CV

Now i found out you can view your source in OllyDbg but its still not quite what i want.. it doesnt show the .endif so it can get a bit confusing.

Microsoft VC++ is ok, but i still dont like it for some reason. I wasnt aware you can do Source Level debugging in PellesC, and i havent tried WinDbg, but i'm about to try it.

I might just finish the project tho, it would be a shame not to finish

-Nonameo-

shankle

To Nonameo,
I also have a problem with these other debbuggers. I want to look at my source
code as written without all the other junk. The only one i've seem that does that
is Soft-Ice but who can afford it.
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

Bieb

Nice.  I'll be sure to try it out as soon as I get home today.  Sounds like a really great idea.

Grincheux

I have downloaded this debugger but I cannot use it.

After loading the source file I get the message :

"ASD could not find a debug block in this file..."

How can I debug ?

Kenavo

Grincheux

Nonameo

The Debug Block is the block of nops at the start.

which file are you trying to debug, if it is your own file, you will need to build each module with a different debug block. e.g.

File1.asm

Start:

nop
nop
nop
mov eax,eax
nop
nop
nop

;the rest of the program here

end Start

File2.asm

Start:

nop
nop
nop
mov eax,eax
mov eax,eax
nop
nop
nop

;the rest of the program here

end Start

this is written in the INSTRUCTIONS.txt file.

If you are trying to debug the tester program that i included, which has a debug block, and it is still throwing this error, then that is a bug.

-Nonameo-