MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Browser extensions ... working example

Started by James Ladd, September 17, 2005, 01:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Ladd

All,

I found this site while trying to find some information on Firefox extensions and
its fantastic.  http://www.iosart.com/firefox/xpcom/

If only I could find same for IE ?

rgs, striker.

comrade

for IE, they are called Browser Helper Objects (BHOs) and you can read about them on MSDN (MSDN.MICROSOFT.COM)

James Ladd

Comrade,

Thanks for the response.

Does anyone know where I can download a working example with source for a Browser Helper Object ?

rgs, striker.

arafel

Here is example of intercepting URL links using BHO (extracted it from a download manager hobby project i am currently working on)

needs vc++ 6 to compile.
function in load.asm used to load the dll...

[attachment deleted by admin]

James Ladd

Arafel,

Wow, thanks for that.

I found the great article here http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwebgen/html/bho.asp
It mentions that the source code is available through MSDN Online. Does anyone have access and or the source code mentioned ?

rgs, striker.

sluggy

MSDN Online is exactly where you were, no membership required  :P

Bieb

NO!  DON'T LET YOUR TALENT AND CREATIVITY GO TO WASTE!  MAKE FIREFOX EXTENSIONS INSTEAD!

P1

Quote from: Robert Bieber on September 18, 2005, 11:44:39 PM
NO!  DON'T LET YOUR TALENT AND CREATIVITY GO TO WASTE!  MAKE FIREFOX EXTENSIONS INSTEAD!
Well, I'm sorry you feel this way.  IE does many wonderful things, as well as some not so.  But FireFox is not the end of the world for browsers.  Each has it's place, pros and cons.

In our corporate environment,  we standardize on IE.  Though I do use both IE and FireFox.

It's just your opinion, that we need to extend IE to be better.

Regards,  P1  :8)

Bieb

It's not opinion, it's practical experience.  Everyone who's ever used both browsers knows that Firefox is much better in terms of features, but, more importantly, doesn't have anywhere near as many security problems as Internet Explorer.  Since switching to Firefox, I haven't had any problems at all with malware or nasty things installing themselves in my browser.  Or popups.  Yet all these things are constant annoyances to IE users...

MichaelW

I've had no problems with "malware or nasty things installing themselves" in IE. You just have to take precautions (that would probably not be necessary with Firefox, yet), and be careful where you go and what you do.

eschew obfuscation

Robert Collins

Quote from: arafel on September 17, 2005, 01:49:34 AM
Here is example of intercepting URL links using BHO (extracted it from a download manager hobby project i am currently working on)

needs vc++ 6 to compile.
function in load.asm used to load the dll...

OK, except load.asm won't assemble....too many code errors.

arafel

Robert C.,

Sorry about that...
Stuff in load.asm is just a function I cut out from some other, bigger, project. I only put it as a reference regarding registry entries which should be added to install the dll. So I didn't bother turning it into standalone app.

If you want to test the dll: regsvr32 it, check the commented lines in load.asm and add appropriate registry entries manually.

Robert Collins

P1

This thread was split.  This part is to be about the original topic, BHOs for IE.

The discussion over the features and benefits of IE vs FF was moved to the Colosseum.

Regards,  P1  :8)

Robert Collins

Has anyone gotton that iecm program to work? I have successfully been able to rebuild it using C++ (which includes the ATL code and other stuff to self-register the DLL). When I launch the IE browser I don't see where it does anything. I have other BHO programs that work and I used a template of one of those that do work to get this one to build and register but what does it do?