masmforum WebSite

MRU

Started by Robert Collins, December 30, 2004, 06:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Collins

What doe MRU mean?

Relvinian

MRU = Most Recently Used.

Keeps track of what recently used files you have used (for all kinds of different apps).  Each app can implement its own MRU system.

A good example is in a lot of applications, in the File menu, you see a sub-section like "Recent Files", etc.

Relvinain

pbrennick

Robert,
As you saw in my project, as you edit and save more documents the MRU area is updated and so is the registry where they are stored.  Any file listed in the MRU section of the File menu can be opened by simply clicking on it.  So in my example there are 3 ways you can open a file:

1.  Command line
2.  MRU
3.  File, Open

I think it is important to handle all three.  In my example, Local   lpArg:DWord handles the commandline option.
Paul

donkey

Funny enough I was playing with the MRU API built into Windows the other day, it's pretty complete and adds alot of power to your most recently used lists. Like registry saves, ordering, searches etc... I will put together a demo and post it if I have some time this weekend. For now these are the ordinal values, they are common across all versions of Windows...

CreateMRUList = COMCTL32.DLL:151
FreeMRUList = COMCTL32.DLL:152
AddMRUString = COMCTL32.DLL:153
EnumMRUList =  COMCTL32.DLL:154
FindMRUString =  COMCTL32.DLL:155
DelMRUString =  COMCTL32.DLL:156
AddMRUData =  COMCTL32.DLL:167
FindMRUData =  COMCTL32.DLL:169
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

pbrennick

It certainly looks a lot easier than slogging it through like I did, a lot of coding.

Paul

donkey

I have posted an example of an MRU list using the COMCTL32 functions for it. The functions are exported by ordinal so you have to figure it out yourself if you use MASM, GoAsm has a much more powerful INVOKE macro and does it rather easily. You can find the example in the GoAsm section of the board.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable