News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

GoLink now 64-bit

Started by jorgon, June 30, 2005, 10:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jorgon

GoLink can now take one or more 64-bit object files and a res file (if used) and makes a 64-bit executable which can be run on x86-64 processors.  No lib files are needed since GoLink looks inside the DLLs themselves to see which APIs they export.
This version of GoLink is at Version 0.26.0 beta and can be downloaded from here.  This link will also work for updates until the version is officially published.  Its early days yet so all bug reports would be appreciated.
Author of the "Go" tools (GoAsm, GoLink, GoRC, GoBug)

bushpilot

Hi Jeremy,

I knew you were up to something!  You have just been too quiet!

Greg

donkey

Hi Jeremy,

No bug report here, I have not linked a 64 bit executable but tests on 32 bit ones were smooth and without surprise. I linked a tough one, my latest project that seems to be taking forever to get running, involving several static libs, including ones written in C (zLib) and GoAsm with the masm switch (my libs).

Now I'm just anxiously awaiting GoAsm 64 so I can start some 64 bit testing, I have the machine and the OS, just need the assembler that goes with them :U
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Citric

Very Interesting!

Good To Hear it!

Well Done.!

BrWarburto

Hi Jeremy,

This is good stuff indeed! Is it necessary to have a new motherboard as well as a 64-bit processor in order to get going?

BeeWarb

donkey

Quote from: BrWarburto on July 02, 2005, 09:44:16 AM
Hi Jeremy,

This is good stuff indeed! Is it necessary to have a new motherboard as well as a 64-bit processor in order to get going?

BeeWarb

The linker is a 32 bit executable and will not actually run in 64 bit mode so you have no need for a 64 bit machine to use it. With Windows XP64 it is run in WoW64 (built-in emulator for running legacy 32 bit apps on XP64) and though I have not attempted it yet the 64 bit executables that it creates should automatically run in 64 bit mode.

So the answer is no, you do not need any special OS or hardware to run it, or even to link 64 bit applications. Just a normal 32 bit machine and any Windows that worked with previous versions. Though any 64 bit apps you build with it will not run on 32 bit OSes or machines, to run them you need an x86-64 (Athlon) with compatible (socket 939) motherboard and a 64 bit OS (XP64)
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

BrWarburto

Hi Donkey!

Thanks for that. It seems an in depth  analysis. Maybe I should have three computers now: one for the Windows 98, one for Windows 64  (and one for Linux!?)
:boohoo:
BeeWarb