News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

m32lib restrictions?

Started by Phil, June 17, 2005, 05:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

I just looked at some of the source for library modules and noticed that many of them save various registers by using a negative stack reference. I can see that this would be much faster than doing a push/pop pair to save and restore but I'm curious about the implications and any restrictions this might place on programs that use the library. Does this preclude the program from setting up and using interupts and exception traps? Are those types of events automatically handled using a different stack? An example that would be common is for a program to set timer events in their process ... I know that can be handled in the message loop but I also thought that a user application could also be written to service such events and other exceptions and traps thru a process interupt vector.

General question is what restrictions does this place on the program that calls functions like this? In 32-bit flat mode running in ring-3 are there ever conditions that would make it unsafe to call szCopy because it saves a value in an unreserved stack location?

szCopy proc src:DWORD,dst:DWORD

; ----------------------------------------------------------
  ; copy source to destination returning the byte count copied
  ; ----------------------------------------------------------
    mov [esp-4],  esi

mov esi, [esp+4]
    mov edx, [esp+8]

roticv

It is the same as using a local variable (without all the ebp stuff).

Phil

No, it's not the same at all because you are using an unreserved dword on the stack in this case. If your program is allowed to receive interupts that use the process stack then the real value of esi will be replaced by the flags or current instruction pointer when an interrupt or trap is serviced. It is certainly without the overhead associated with setting up a stack frame using ebp and it is fine if no interupts or traps are allowed ... What about the debugger traps that use 0CCh (int 3) as breakpoints? What about a divide error trap? Do they automatically use a seperate stack?

hutch--

Phil,

Its a pretty standard way to write a proc without a stack frame and probably the best comparison is to write the same proc WITH a stack frame and disassemble it. Locals normally go below the stack pointer where parameters go above it.

LOCAL var :DWORD; = [esp-4]

args on the stack as passed to a procedure start at [esp+4].

You cannot directly call an interrupt in ring 3 access and require a driver to do it except on very early win95 oem version that allowed a few of the old DOS interrupts.

Whether you copy ESP to EBP with a stack frame or use ESP directly, it still referes to the same stack memory so there is no loss there.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Phil

Thanks for the explanation Hutch! As long as an interupt, trap, or exception can't cause the data below the stack pointer in the process stack to be destroyed it's a lot quicker than push/pop. It's a neat trick!

MichaelW

I tested an INT 2Eh call under Windows 2000 SP4. My results would seem to indicate that the interrupt call is not being bypassed, and it is not using the current stack.

; «««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««
    include \masm32\include\masm32rt.inc
    .data
    .code
start:
    ; Verify that the interrupt call is being made.
    mov   eax,1
    int   2eh
    print uhex$(eax),13,10

; Verify that the interrupt call does not overwrite [esp-4].
    mov   dword ptr [esp-4],12345678h
    mov   eax,1
    int   2eh
    mov   eax,[esp-4]
    print uhex$(eax),13,10

mov   eax, input(13,10,"Press enter to exit...")
    exit
end start

Results:

C0000005

eschew obfuscation

hutch--

Phil,

A procedure written without a stack frame is usually what you call a leaf procedure in that it does not call other procedures but its very difficult to get one to work where the procedure is used recursively.

Michael,

Interesting test, it surprised me that it could be used in ring3.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

roticv

Hello Michael,

what does int 2eh with the parameter 1 do? GetLastError?

Code in ring0 has different stack from ring3. During transition, the different states are stored and restored. I don't see how int can affect the given code.

Phil

I added an 'int 3' to your code Michael and I was surprised to see that it used the process stack and destroyed [esp-4]. I think this means a user breakpoint set inside one of these procedures would also cause unreserved stack elements to be destroyed when it is executed. I'll try to test that "hypothesis" and post again later.
    include \masm32\include\masm32rt.inc
    .data
    .code
start:
    ; Verify that the interrupt call is being made.
    mov   eax,1
    int   2eh
    print uhex$(eax),13,10

; Verify that the interrupt call does not overwrite [esp-4].
    mov   eax,1
    int   2eh
    mov   eax,[esp-4]
    print uhex$(eax),13,10

; Show that a debugger breakpoint (int 3) will overwrite [esp-4].
    mov   eax,1
    int   3                     ; invoke debugger with a db 0CCh (int 3)
    mov   eax,[esp-4]
    print uhex$(eax),13,10

mov   eax, input(13,10,"Press enter to exit...")
    exit
end start

I'm not sure where the FFFFFFFF that replaced the original [esp-4] came from but it looks like the 'int 3' service routine is using the ring-3 process stack.
c:\asm>testint3
C0000005
FFFFFFFF

MichaelW

Hello roticv,

The value 1 was just the first value I found that Windows would tolerate.
eschew obfuscation

QvasiModo

Mhm, what happens if there's an SEH handler installed?

Phil

I'm using an old Microsoft Visual C++ Debugger and the stack was okay after the breakpoint when I loaded the program first and set a normal breakpoint. I'll see if I can get some code working to test asyncronous timer interupts and see if they ever affect the stack.

Michael had just posted some code that uses timers and I'll see if I can build a test to loop thru the szCopy while a timer is ticking and see if it ever 'forgets' the actual contents of 'esi'. So far, so good. The earlier example of using an 'int 3' to invoke the debugger was just a trick I leaned that doesn't look to be safe to use within a procedure like szCopy. The normal breakpoints worked fine.

QvasiModo: I'm not sure what an SEH handler is but, if interupts are allowed to be processed using the ring-3 process stack it might present a problem.

donkey

SEH = Structured Exception Handler

For more info see Jeremy Gordon's tutorial...

http://www.jorgon.freeserve.co.uk/Except/Except.htm
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

chep

Quote from: QvasiModo on June 17, 2005, 10:49:59 PM
Mhm, what happens if there's an SEH handler installed?

Indeed, if an exception occurs there are strong chances the stack will be overwritten. AFAIK SEH uses the ring-3 stack.

Phil

I've just checked out the SetConsoleCtrlHandler to see if I could create an interupt with Ctrl-C or Ctrl-Break that could affect the process stack ... but it creates a separate thread that has it's own registers and stack. The program I used to test was modifed from a processor idle time ditti by MichaelW ... Thanks for the code, I couldn't have done this (in less than a year or two) without you!

Thanks for the link and info about Structured Exception Handlers. I'll see what I can do with that. My guess at this point is that Hutch *really* knows what's going on and that it isn't going to be a problem. I just knew when I saw it that it could have spelled *disaster* if kernel DOS were still in charge!

[attachment deleted by admin]