masmforum WebSite

Make clock run fast

Started by thomasantony, June 15, 2005, 10:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasantony

Hi,
  Is it possible to make the windows clock run faster? :bdg

Thomas
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Programmer's Directory. Submit for free

chep

Maybe set up a timer every 500ms and advance the clock of 500ms, it will run 2 times faster.

I don't know how to change the clock though.

Pseudocode :
SETUP 500ms TIMER

TimerProc:
  STOP TIMER (to avoid recursion?)
  clock = clock + 500ms
  SETUP 500ms TIMER
ENDP

But this requires the program to be resident.

I feel sorry for the poor person to whom you'll make the trick. :cheekygreen:

thomasantony

Hmm,
  Maybe I can use GetSystemTime and SetSystemTime. But thats gotta be a hell lot slow if I do it twice a second!!

Thomas :U
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

thomas_remkus

I'm just a noob, so I'll call this pseudo code ...

time_warp:
LOCAL st:SYSTEMTIME
invoke GetSystemTime, addr st
invoke Sleep, 10
invoke SetSystemTime, st
goto time_warp

Just start this and let it run. Again, it's very simple and done incorrectly as when I was trying to make a sample of this working is all came out wrong. But, I just wanted to share my idea.

thomasantony

No,

I think you should increment the seconds or minutes value of the SYSTEMTIME struct.

Thomas

thomas_remkus

My bad code also has a design flaw. Basically, get the current time, sleep 1, set the clock back, wait for a sort of random amount of time, start the hell all over.

time_warp:
invoke GetSystemTime, addr st
invoke Sleep, 1
invoke SetSystemTime, st
invoke Sleep, ((st.wMinute + st.wSecond) * 10)
goto time_warp

Again, I know this code won't run but it doesn't mean that I haven't been trying. I know there must be something with the "add" and such. If anyone wants to make this bad code actually work please do ... because that's what I am working on trying to get running.

thomas

Mark Jones

I think the sleep intervals need to be much longer. 1000ms = 1 second, so if you wanted to "subtract half a second" to each second of time, you'd want something like:

time_warp:
invoke GetSystemTime, addr st  ; might need to be "offset st" or just "st"
invoke Sleep, 500
invoke SetSystemTime, st
invoke Sleep, 500
goto time_warp

...perhaps. Untested. :)
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

thomas_remkus

In effect, you are making the clock seem twice as slow. Any time they are the same number you will get this effect. So if you put in 1 and 1 then you will get the same effect in theory. If you put 2 and 1 then you will have a slower computer clock, and something like 1 and 2 will make you seem faster.

Of course, I am trying to get this actually working .... for some strange educational purpose.

thomas

chep

To adjust the time more easily you'd better use FILETIME structures :
Quote from: MSDNA file time is a 64-bit value that represents the number of 100-nanosecond intervals that have elapsed since 12:00 A.M. January 1, 1601 (UTC).
Using a SYSTEMTIME structure for *accelerating* the clock would require you to propagate the change into all "higher" fields of the structure, which is plain overkill.

To *accelerate* the clock (here, add 500ms every 500ms so it runs twice faster) :
QuoteLOCAL st:SYSTEMTIME
LOCAL ft:FILETIME
time_warp:
; get system time in a FILETIME structure (64bits, in 100's of nanoseconds)
invoke GetSystemTimeAsFileTime, ADDR ft

; convert milliseconds to 100's of nanoseconds, and add it
add ft.dwLowDateTime, 500*10000 ; number_of_milliseconds*10000
adc ft.dwHighDateTime, 0 ; propagate carry

; convert back to a SYSTEMTIME structure
invoke FileTimeToSystemTime, ADDR ft, ADDR st
; set system time
invoke SetSystemTime, ADDR st

invoke Sleep, 500
jmp time_warp

not tested, but it should work I think. :wink