News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

IE Plugin DLL

Started by Robert Collins, June 08, 2005, 03:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Collins

I was just playing around and I added a DLL to the IE browser as a toolbar plugin. (I didn't write the DLL and it had nothing to do with buttons. It was just a simple sample of a do-nothing regular DLL that I found in masm32)  It worked. However, it also works for Windows Explorer which I didn't expect. Is this normal?

I would like to make my own DLL to plug into IE so as to have my own buttons or whatever. Where can I get information (samples would be great) on how to make a plugin DLL for IE or any application (like Outlook, for example). 

I know how to modify the registry to add a DLL to IE, I just don't know how to make the DLL. (I know how to make DLLs in gerneral, I just don't know how to make one that has toolbar buttons and works as a addon or plugin for IE).

sluggy

I would wonder what exactly you mean by "it works". Do you actually mean "it didn't error"?
There is some more information in my reply here.

It surprises me that your test worked because you most likely used a standard dll, not a COM one.

Robert Collins

Quote from: sluggy on June 09, 2005, 03:53:36 AM
I would wonder what exactly you mean by "it works". Do you actually mean "it didn't error"?
There is some more information in my reply here.

It surprises me that your test worked because you most likely used a standard dll, not a COM one.

I mean that the DLL worked as a plugin the same as it would work if I had used it in my own program. In other words, the DLL was nothing special and it only displayed a message box saying "Hello". When I added it to the IE toolbar as a plugin it said "Hello" when I launched I.E. Since I have never tried adding a DLL to IE's toolbar before I just wanted to see if I could get any DLL to do something. Not that this was any big deal it just told me that all I need is a DLL that already had a toolbar button array and then I could use that DLL instead of the do-nothing one that I was testing with. As I said in my previous post I know how to add the DLL and I know how to make simple DLLs but what I don't know is how to make one with a tool bar button array and have that DLL function as an IE plugin toolbar addin.

Robert Collins

OK, I looked at that link you posted. It appears that the question that was asked in that topic was not really answered.  I think my question and his is pointing to the same request. I guess in simple terms what I am asking is how do you create a DLL (or COM if that is what it really is) that has a toolbar button array and then that same DLL will function correctly as an IE plugin. I am not asking how to add the DLL because I already know how to modify the registry to get the DLL registered and make it IE aware. Even if you can't show me how to make it can someone tell me where I could get a tutorial on how this is done.

James Ladd

Robert,
If you find the answer to your question could you post me with the answer ?
Im also very interested in how to add to IE's capabilities.
I want to extend the scripting support in the browser to support other languages.

Rgs, striker.

sluggy

Okay, you asked for it - here is enough info to put you to sleep  :eek

BHO info
Browser extensions
Explorer Bars

Like i said, it mainly all revolves around implementing the right interface to do the job you want. It seems the IE SDK that i mentioned earlier has been swallowed up, it isn't available as a separate product any more.

Mark,
the reason why your DLL worked will be because you invoke the messagebox in your DllMain procedure; all dlls have this procedure (including COM ones), and as you probably already know DllMain is called automatically by Windows when your dll is loaded.

Robert Collins

Quote from: sluggy on June 10, 2005, 02:39:27 AM

Mark,
the reason why your DLL worked will be because you invoke the messagebox in your DllMain procedure; all dlls have this procedure (including COM ones), and as you probably already know DllMain is called automatically by Windows when your dll is loaded.

Don't you mean Robert?

Yes, that is correct. The DllMain invoked the messagebox. I knew this and that is why I used that DLL. I just wanted to see (and I figured a DLL with something that would prove to me that it was actually being loaded by IE as a toolbar plugin) if I was on the right tract by modifying the registry. The fact that the messagebox poped  up proved to me that my registry modifications was correct. So, knowing now how to modify the registry my next task was to create an actual DLL with a toolbar. I will look into those three links you posted above.

Thanks for you help.

Robert Collins

Quote from: sluggy on June 10, 2005, 02:39:27 AM
Okay, you asked for it - here is enough info to put you to sleep  :eek

BHO info
Browser extensions
Explorer Bars

Those links are great :U  :bg  :clap:  :dance:

Thanks a million. Exactly what I needed

Robert Collins

Given the above links and the one below you will have everything you need to develop BHOs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q179230/

Download the sample. Get a clean compile/link/register and it will work. Then you can expand from there and start building your own BHOs.