News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

The Tuolumne to Banff Challenge

Started by baltoro, March 15, 2012, 09:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baltoro

When I'm not demonically programming in assembly language, I'm a naturalist (but, not a nudist, Eeeewwww !!!). For me it's a kind of zen/karma thing,...
And, of course, if you are an assembly programmer, people are always calling you a wimp. I am sick of hearing it all the time. :eek
So, I've had an inspiration: The Official MASM Tuolumne to Banff Challenge. It's an adventure,...and an opportunity to show the world what a bunch of epic badasses we are.
The concept is to make a cross-country journey from Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite National Park, California, all the way to Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada.

There are only two rules:

• No mechanized vehicles are allowed (automobiles, trains, aircraft, or motorcycles)
    You can go on foot, horseback, bicycle, skateboard, surfboard, or wheelchair.
  • And,...you can't hire a stunt double to do it for you.

Other than that,...anything goes. You can even hire your own film crew and celebrity sponsor.
The only foreseeable difficulty is that I'm not sure the route is even feasible,...so, it might not be humanly possible,...
But,...what the heck,...it'll be fun,...a humongous adventure,...and, you might even get the chance to slay a couple of grizzly bears along the way,...
...And,...sorry,...you Southern Hemisphere guys are probably a little miffed at being left out of all the excitement,,..
...but, if any of us survive the ordeal,...next year's challenge will be from Sydney to Banff,...
Remember,...it's for a good cause,...to defeat Global Warming and save the planet!!!

Baltoro

P1

The robot/drone is programmed in asm, can he run for me ???   :toothy

Regards,  P1  :8)

donkey

Give me a call when you get to Banff, I spend a lot of time there and don't live too far away (about an hour and a quarter drive time). By the way, nobody ever calls me a wimp at 6'1" and around 195lbs I'm in pretty good shape and have played enough hockey and spent enough time in the military and reserves to know how to handle myself.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

dedndave

QuoteRemember,...it's for a good cause,...to defeat Global Warming and save the planet!!!

sounds like it might be self-defeating
just think of all those calories that might burn a whole in the ozone layer
might be better off to kick back on the couch with a beer and watch - like me   :bg
we recylce our aluminum - so, yah - we're doing our part

vanjast

Quote from: baltoro on March 15, 2012, 09:49:31 PM
.. if you are an assembly programmer, people are always calling you a wimp..
Do they really say that ?? Just reply that they're not man enough (even the women) to get into the nitty gritty.
AND as the saying goes... 'If you can program in Asm, you can program in any language !!'
:wink

Other than that, it sounds like a wild trip (pardon the pun)... Should be a gas.
Why don't you ask Hutch (and others) to sponsor you... with shirts, shoes and pants (even underpants) with massive MASM32 logos all over them  :wink
This should create 'public awareness' and save the planet from rediculous programming languages - Just don't get eaten by any bears or animals... this'll be bad for publicity,
:bg

jj2007

Quote from: baltoro on March 15, 2012, 09:49:31 PMit's for a good cause,...to defeat Global Warming and save the planet!!!

I suppose that means I have to swim from Italy to Tuolumne?

hutch--

JJ,

You are allowed to float on a tree trunk as long as the tree fell naturally and was not cut down. If you look around for a few palm leaves (naturally fallen of course) you should be able to row to the destination and not do any damage to the planet at all. Now the only difficult part is your breathing which could increase the level of carbon emissions and if you have partaken of much good Vino there may be a toxic level of hydrocarbons emitted as well.  :P
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

dedndave

not so sure it's a good idea to let an Italian sail   :P

baltoro

JOCHEN,
Quote from: JOCHENI suppose that means I have to swim from Italy to Tuolumne?
You know,...it's amazing how many Europeans I have run into up in the Sierra, on the John Muir Trail / Pacific Crest Trail. Young, healthy people,...and, of course,...almost all Californians are either in jail or rehab,...so, it's really become an International Sanctuary.
I think we're going to have to revoke some of those rules. Who cares,...anyway ??? It's all about the adventure,...

...And,...P1:
Quote from: P1The robot/drone is programmed in asm, can he run for me ???
...I'll have to think about it,...hmmm,...OK,...but, if there are reports of rogue drones launching missiles on non-terrorists,...I think the media will blow things way out of proportion,... :eek

DAVE !!!
Quote from: DAVE...might be better off to kick back on the couch with a beer and watch - like me,...
...Yeah,...as usual, you're way ahead of the average assembly programmer on this issue,...It's basically a DEATHMARCH,... :eek

...And,...EDGAR:
Quote from: EDGAR...Give me a call when you get to Banff,...
...I hate to be the one to break it to you, EDGAR,...but, this whole ridiculous scenario is just a smoke screen,...we're actually planning in INVADE Banff,...seeing as how you are sidelined with a hockey injury,...

...And,...finally,...VANJAST:
Quote from: .. if you are an assembly programmer, people are always calling you a wimp..
Do they really say that ??
No,...of course not,...most normal people think 'assembly programming' is a terminal form of dementia,...
Baltoro