News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Windows 7 desktop context menu example.

Started by Bill Cravener, November 29, 2011, 03:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cravener

I bought me a new mini Acer P-Dual Core 3.2Ghz/4 GRam/1 Terabyte Drive/Win7 64 bit machine and been playing with it for about a month now and I have to say compared to Vista Windows 7 64 bit rocks! I still detest Aero Glass but running in Windows 7 Basic makes things OK. One feature I've been hacking into is Window 7's desktop context menu. It's a terrific place to add quick access to your favorite applications and is a favorite registry hack by many Windows 7 users.

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to make a Windows 7 Masm32 example to let a user add and manage new menu options to the desktop context menu easily without digging into the registry manually. This example lets you add up to 6 new menu options that you can place at the top, middle or bottom of Windows 7 desktop context right-click menu and also adds a leading icon to each of the menu options as well.

This example source lacks any comments but it's simple and clear to understand and if you don't understand it well then you shouldn't be monkeying around with the Windows Registry in the first place. :bg

http://www.quickersoft.com/examples/Appender.zip

Or it can be downloaded from my site link below.
My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

jj2007

Good stuff, Bill :U

I have just started with Win7, with mixed experience. For example, by right-clicking on the taskbar into one of your apps you get a "recent" menu - cute idea:

What a pity that it has little to do with the app's own recent files list - oh Micro$oft ::)

Then the Aero glassy stuff... it took me a night or two to get my hover menus back to work, but in the end I succeeded:

That one is not yet public, I am still testing :bg

Bill Cravener

Thanks Jochen!

Yes, the desktop context menu is a handy dandy place to quickly start up your must commonly used apps. I do indeed like Win 7 but be it Vista or Win 7 I don't know if I will ever adjust to Aero Glass. I know my opinion is silly but to me it in a way sissifies Windows. :bg

My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat