MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Japan's Nuclear Disaster

Started by Bill Cravener, March 17, 2011, 10:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farrier

This aired last night on NOVA:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/japan-killer-quake.html

The best overall TV program over 5 decades.

farrier
It is a GOOD day to code!
Some assembly required!
ASM me!
With every mistake, we must surely be learning. (George...Bush)

Bill Cravener

My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

Bill Cravener

I have often stated that this world of ours needs a good cleansing, well, I think that day will come sooner then not if we don't wise up. Nothing to fear, right?  :tdown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ITrXVJMKeQ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Caldicott
My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

xanatose

One thing I do not like about "population control" is that it does not target scumbags that do more harm than good in this world (for example Dick Cheney). So more and more people end up having a scumbag as a forefather, resulting that scumbags are perfected by evolution while good people are eliminated.

Imagine on 10 generations the level of scumbags that this earth will have. They will make Stalin, Hitler and Cheney look like decent folks.

donkey

Quote from: xanatose on May 04, 2011, 03:43:54 AM
One thing I do not like about "population control" is that it does not target scumbags that do more harm than good in this world (for example Dick Cheney). So more and more people end up having a scumbag as a forefather, resulting that scumbags are perfected by evolution while good people are eliminated.

Imagine on 10 generations the level of scumbags that this earth will have. They will make Stalin, Hitler and Cheney look like decent folks.

Imagining that that type of behavior is influenced by genetics and not taught is a pretty big leap, it is the driving philosophy behind the Holocaust and almost every instance of ethnic cleansing. I would suggest that anyone who would believe such nonsense is worse than the Cheney's of the world, they condemn a person based on the actions of their ancestors and genetic makeup. The eugenics programs of the early 1900's were based on this assumption and Hitler and Stalin's atrocious policies were also.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

xanatose

Quote from: dedndave on March 30, 2011, 06:56:22 PM
but - they have "radiation hardened" IC's, as well

Interesting, but how radiation hardened are they? Would it allow a robot to enter a radiation zone?

Bill Cravener

This mess over in Japan is going from a very troubling disaster to a catastrophic disaster and we don't here a word about it from the United States media. The fallout from this disaster is circling the northern hemisphere and is now showing up in Americas milk, rain and soil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHlnRaXi7Mk

My MASM32 Examples.

Bill Cravener

My MASM32 Examples.

hutch--

I confess I always found the examples of "racial superiority" humerous, has anyone taken a good look at Hitler's henchmen ? Looking at the old world elite there probably is a case for another French Revolution (cut their heads off). History has a number of examples of well mixed tolerant societies that were eventually brought down by greed, intolerance and a failure to grasp what was worth having, Muslim Spain, Norman Sicily and many others but the notion of one group being "superior" to another has a long and unhappy history around the world, something like tribal warfare practiced at a national level.

We currently have the Muslim Council of Australia trying to argue for the partial introduction of Sharia law based on some notion of legal pluralism, its not flying but they are trying.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

xanatose

Quote from: donkey on May 04, 2011, 04:00:15 AM
Quote from: xanatose on May 04, 2011, 03:43:54 AM

Imagining that that type of behavior is influenced by genetics and not taught is a pretty big leap, it is the driving philosophy behind the Holocaust and almost every instance of ethnic cleansing. I would suggest that anyone who would believe such nonsense is worse than the Cheney's of the world, they condemn a person based on the actions of their ancestors and genetic makeup. The eugenics programs of the early 1900's were based on this assumption and Hitler and Stalin's atrocious policies were also.

"The end justifies the means." - Napoleon

A psycopath is a person uncapable of feeling empathy to another person. That does not mean that is not able to simulate empathy to get what they want and look perfectly normal. Nor does it mean that they like when other people get hurt (that would be a sadist, a psycopath would just do not care). This persons have an advantage, is easier to take an oportunity that will benefit you, but will harm another. When you have no empathy toward others is easy.

A psycopath can either be born a psycopath or become one by a sickness or accident that affects the brain in the empathy area (empathy is just the capacity of imagining what is to be in the other person shoes).

Over time, generations of psycopaths to to the top. And in the process they also change the point of view and environment of other people, since people will try to imitate the ones they consider more succesful.

Thus, while I do agree that genetics is not a 100% of the equation, and maybe not even 10% of it. Is certainly part of the equation. Over time people in general become more evil. By means of genes, teachings and change of the environment.

At the end, the only way we can avoid all this is by learning to ask why? And to say no.

clive

Quote from: clive on March 28, 2011, 07:09:29 PM
Quote from: clive on March 17, 2011, 05:08:03 PM
Well the're going to loose containment on all 4 reactors at Fukushima (and perhaps the other two just north of the ones usually pictured), and the spent fuel pond. Doesn't one of theses units have plutonium in it? Problem is all governments lie about the scale of these things. Watch where the politicians and their families go.

Well it looks like the unit that didn't blow the roof off is the one who's plutonium burned through the bottom of the reactor.

We went from wall-to-wall coverage, to practically none, but they are admitting that it burned through some of the containment, on unit 1. I'd wager both 2 & 3 also burned through the bottom of the reactor. Waiting for some admissions on the spent fuel ponds, especially unit 4 which had been defuelled. Expecting more grave details will come out in time.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204262304577069302835999204.html

Reactor Core Melted Fully, Japan Says
Fuel Breached Vessel Floor, Operator Says, In Its Gravest Fukushima Status Report

TOKYO—Japan's tsunami-stricken nuclear-power complex came closer to a catastrophic meltdown than previously indicated by its operator—who on Wednesday described how one reactor's molten nuclear core likely burned through its primary containment chamber and then ate as far as three-quarters of the way through the concrete in a secondary vessel.

Google the headline to get behind the WSJ paywall
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.

clive

It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.