MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Greetings assembly language programmers

Started by adodo, November 03, 2011, 10:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adodo

Hi all.

This is my first post to identify me as a human as per the forum welcome notes. I am pretty much a hobby programmer who has dabbled in various languages over the years. I can write simple programs in basic, C, Pascal, Java. As part of my ongoing hobby, I am delving into the world of C++, Perl, python and ruby. However my long term goal is complete programs in win32 (win64 in the future) assembly language. I have pretty much realised this will take time. If I make it, I hope to create my own OS, but that is a dream at this stage. To help me on my way I have obtained Petzold's "Programming Windows" 5e to learn the win32 api. I am currently working my way through those examples typing them in C first and then trying to port them to assembly language. I am also making use of the Iczelion tutorials as a base for my own original work. I have figured out most of the basics on the windows side, thanks to the Iczelion tutorials. However I am struggling a little in porting C console apps to win32 console apps. If anyone has any pointers to material that might help, it would be greatly appreciated. MASM, TASM, NASM, etc - I don't really mind. I feel fairly comfortable reading ASM and compiler generated list files.

Tedd

Your main problem will be that the C progams rely heavily on the C standard library.
Solutions are to either replace those calls with your own equivalent functionality (some are easier than others, particularly reading/writing stdin/stdout), or link to the same standard library and use them too :wink
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

adodo

Thanks Tedd. I shall start exploring linking my assembly programs with the C standard library.

jj2007

You may search the forum for crt_ - that is the prefix used in Masm32 for crt functions.

dedndave

adodo

Thanks for the welcome dedndave.

I have started searching through the forums - thanks for that tip. There is a lot of interesting stuff here. I see that I will be entertained after work for many days to come.

Vortex