News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Thanks for having me here

Started by locoder, October 29, 2011, 03:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locoder

Hi Everyone, I hat wanted to say this is really cool, I cannot believe I never found this forum before. I have not done say MASM32 assembler at al ever, my name is mikee by the way, and I goes I am kinda overwhelmed at the moment as I do not know where to start, but i will figure it out.... I got sent an activation code, I have no idea what to do with that.

anyway a little about myself, I spent many years doing 8051 ASM, Then did ATMEL ASM, 68HC12 ASM, AND DSP563XX/DSP567XX ASM, for DSP audio application, I have always wanted to do a little on the PC, and AMD chips and for that matter the nvidia GPU, but really never got around to learning seems like there are a a lot of lovers of ASM  :cheekygreen:... good to see, now I am inspirer to get myself up to speed on X86 ASM, or is it way past that now jeeze there must be so many more opcodes, than the old 8051 from intel, ... I do not know if anyone here has familiarity with 8051 but its intel, is it just an extension on the original assembly commands like DBNE, OR  considering a jump statement ... JMP @DPTR, +A

Also the interrupt vectors must be huge, what stops one from corrupting the data in the OS form writing the wrong interrupt routine?

anyway thanks, will have a look at some documentation, then give back a little code when I understand the format :)

locoder

dedndave

welcome to the forum, Mikee   :U

many years ago, i learned to speak 8051, as well as 6802/05, 68K - and several others
i started out with the 4004 and 8008   :P
forgotten most of it now   :(

in the upper right corner you will find a few links
follow them and poke around a bit
you will want the masm32 package, iczelions tutorials, and the intel programmers ref manuals
much of what you want to learn is available online at MSDN (microsoft)
a good place to start - google "ExitProcess" to see what i mean
the hard part will be the terminology used

QuoteAlso the interrupt vectors must be huge, what stops one from corrupting
the data in the OS form writing the wrong interrupt routine?

it's a protected system - user mode programs cannot access those areas

locoder

Thanks mate, look another question, when my VIRUS software did a check on the MASM32 and on RADASM it found what it thought were viruses...
now I am not silly and i know that certain people do code in such a manner, especially in ASM to write these kinds of things...
however i assumed that they were just fine and retrieved them from quarantine. because th compiler was probably coded to look for asm binaries, and hex coff files?

is that happened to you or anyone else?

thanks for the links, I have exams on so I gotta study for those, but during summer I will see what kind of DSP/Math functions I can do in MASM32
Iassume the arch is 32 bit registers.... easier to work with then 8 bit :) sounds like fun

dedndave

yah - there are a few AV programs that catch almost anything that is written in asm or packed - lol

http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?board=52.0

jj2007

Hi Mikee,

Welcome to the Forum :thumbu

I started assembler in 198? on an Atari ST with the 68000 CPU. Things have changed an awful lot, as you soon will find out. Check my Tips & Tricks signature for some rules on register preservation etc, it will help to avoid some common traps.

Have a good start, and come back with questions :U

Jochen

Vortex

Hi locoder,

Welcome to the forum.

j00n

Lots of generous helpful people here...  :thumbu