Started by oex, August 03, 2011, 06:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oex

Quote from: dedndave on August 04, 2011, 06:13:54 PM
i have a crackpot theory related to the center of the earth   :bg

must be a lot of gold down there
think about it - very dense - low melting point - noncorroding

http://www.universetoday.com/9295/astronomers-find-a-huge-diamond-in-space/
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

http://www.hereford.tv

dedndave

Quote10 billion trillion trillion carats

that'll feed a lot of rabbits   :bg

baltoro

There are many crackpot theories about what's at the center of the Earth.   
In fact,...I read ON THE INTERNET, that there is a group of serious people who think the Earth is full of petroleum,...instead of, extremely hot rock under immense pressure, that has differentiated over 4.5 billion years into the mantle, outer core, and inner core.   
My insanely wild, Uber-crackpot theory is that: WE'LL NEVER KNOW !!!
Baltoro

vanjast

Quote from: dedndave on August 04, 2011, 06:13:54 PM
i have a crackpot theory related to the ...   :bg
:dazzled:
You have one.... wait till you hear mine... actually I won't talk about this, it's..

:bg :U

Magnum

The inner core of the Earth, its innermost hottest part as detected by seismological studies, is a primarily solid sphere about 1,216 km (760 mi) in radius, or about 70% that of the Moon. It is believed to consist of an iron-nickel alloy, and may have a temperature similar to the Sun's surface, approximately 5778 K (5505 °C).

Since there is magma, the core can't be petroleum. :-)
Have a great day,
                         Andy

dedndave

not petrol - that's for sure
personally, i doubt it''s quite that hot
the iron-nickel theory is a very old one
there is little information to prove or disprove it   :P
i am sure it contains a mixture of several heavy metals - the percentages may never be known
they can estimate the mass, according to the movement of earth in orbit
and, of course the volume, but that's as far as it goes
so - they have a figure for density

baltoro

Quote from: MAGNUMThe inner core of the Earth, its innermost hottest part as detected by seismological studies, is a primarily solid sphere about 1,216 km (760 mi) in radius, or about 70% that of the Moon. It is believed to consist of an iron-nickel alloy, and may have a temperature similar to the Sun's surface, approximately 5778 K (5505 °C).
Since there is magma, the core can't be petroleum. :bg)

This is an inference based on current estimates of mineralogical abundances in the crust and meteorites. Geophysical models of the Earth's interior are based on estimated density gradients and temperature gradients. The resulting structure seems reasonable considering the known physical constraints as determined by studies of gravitation and high-pressure, high-temperature experiments on common mineral states.   
My crackpot theory is that the Earth's interior is alot more heterogeneous than the current geophysical models would indicate. I find it difficult visualizing mantle convection (that supposedly drives the plate tectonic process). Also, I find it difficult to believe that molten 'rock' of a specific density is able to migrate through a matrix of unimaginably high pressure and temperature. But,...it's just a feeling,... :eek

Quote from: DAVEthe iron-nickel theory is a very old one
there is little information to prove or disprove it
Dave's right here (for once !!!). The geomagnetic field of the Earth cannot be adequately explained,...and the Iron/Nickel alloy core was initially proposed to provide a plausible mechanism for generating a magnetic field (and, of course, Iron is abunant and fairly dense).

Excellent review paper: Origin of the Core
Baltoro

anunitu

I personelly think the inner core is more like a smores..... :toothy..Marshmello he said.... :eek

dedndave

they seem to think the core has a lot of iron in it
but i don't think that's necessary for the earth to have a magnetic field
seems to me that if the core was largely iron, you wouldn't be able to pick up your car keys   :lol

baltoro

Venus doesn't have a magnetic field,...and it has a comparable mass and, presumably composition.
Here's a highly technical scientific paper: Why Does Venus Lack a Magnetic Field?
Baltoro

dedndave

yes - i recall reading somewhere that venus also lacks a system of plate-tectonics