MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

How *not* to write software

Started by DarkWolf, July 19, 2011, 11:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vortex

Hi TmX,

What's wrong with installing a development environment in Windows? You have a lot of choices. Just try Pelles C. It installs all everything what you need including the libraries. It's fast, simple and painless.

DarkWolf

I think what tim meant is that if he were to install Visual dotNet for instance he then couldn't use somehting like Windows Update to keep his libraries recent. Windows just isn't designed like that.
--
Where's there's smoke, There are mirrors.
Give me Free as in Freedom not Speech or Beer.
Thank You and Welcome to the Internet.

TmX

Quote from: Vortex on August 23, 2011, 07:08:42 PM
Hi TmX,

What's wrong with installing a development environment in Windows? You have a lot of choices. Just try Pelles C. It installs all everything what you need including the libraries. It's fast, simple and painless.

Nothing, but as I implied before, it's easier to set up a development environment in Linux/UNIX, because of the package manager.
This post explains it pretty well: A wish a day 7: make emerge a generic package manager for Windows

:wink

Vortex

A package manager for Windows could be interesting but this should not cause serious package dependency problems.

hutch--

Everyone has a system, Linux had to develop a packaging manager because the range of variation made the software so unreliable that most of it did not work. While Linux has a near infinite set of DISTROS, Windows only has one current update for each OS version. If you want a development package from Microsoft you update that separately like normal.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

oex

We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

http://www.hereford.tv

Twister

Package managers come to good use when you have a package that depends on another package that depends on another. :P
And when their is a more recent version with new features or bug fixes.

DarkWolf

Quote from: Horton on September 04, 2011, 09:34:53 PM
Package managers come to good use when you have a package that depends on another package that depends on another. :P
And when their is a more recent version with new features or bug fixes.

Except of course that distros won't release the newer version of that software. This is the headache with ubuntu. Newer version of wine was released but they never put it in their repos (because it had new features) but they did with firefox (because it had new features). This half-ass hypocratic bullshit is why Linux can't get ahead, they need to pull their religion out of their asses.

And of course Package A depends on B and, B on C and, C on D and, D on A and, A on E  and, E on B, and A and B have to be installed at the same time (isn't linux fun). (I had a similar issue when dealing with a manual install of Network manager in an old machine).
--

TmX

Quote from: DarkWolf on September 06, 2011, 06:23:18 PM
Newer version of wine was released but they never put it in their repos (because it had new features) but they did with firefox (because it had new features). This half-ass hypocratic bullshit is why Linux can't get ahead, they need to pull their religion out of their asses.

If you always want the latest updates, why don't you try bleeding edge distros like Arch or Gentoo?

Twister

Gentoo is good. If that scares you away then go for Fedora.

They are both updated on an hourly basis.

DarkWolf

Quote from: TmX on September 07, 2011, 04:29:18 AM

If you always want the latest updates, why don't you try bleeding edge distros like Arch or Gentoo?

Who said STABLE was bleeding edge ?

Debian still doesn't have the latest stable release of wine and Ubuntu never updated the last LTS with the recent Stable release (even when that LTS was still supported). Ubuntu seemed to have dropped support for anything when they came up with that ppa crap. Anything still on the older deb repo based system was quietly not supported. You could only get Stable releases if you used the ppa system.

PPA is crap. Then the WINE maintainer for Ubuntu packages did some dumbass move by using the official Ubuntu PPA as the WINE PPA. So the only to get the "official" WINE package is from the Ubuntu PPA which is actually the "officail" Ubuntu package. Confused yet ?
--

RDRush

Quote from: Horton on July 20, 2011, 03:19:10 AM
I learned Linux by snooping through the manuals. Nothing wrong doing it that way. :P

"Ventura!"
"Yes, Satan."

Snooping around in the manpages, cause were men, is better than getting flamed by morons who haven't read the manpages cause they aren't men yet. I love surfing Linux forums and there are four reasons why: awesome, educationally mind shattering advice, newbs getting throttled, morons and discrete whores. Love it to death -- it's like the Garden of Eden meets Sodom and Gomorrah with the tower of Babylon smack dab in the middle surrounded by supremists crying they're democratic. You have to pay twenty dollars a person at the theaters to get that type of entertainment and then you turn around and your surrounded by pissed off groupie chicks staring at you like its the no boys zone. It's like, what? Oh, and that doesn't include pop-corn, nachos or any soft drink, but evil eye is free however, God Bless America.

By the way, evil eye is the left eye -- oculus sinister -- I guess the sinister part was the give away. Oculus dexter is your right eye and I suspect the reasoning behind the cartoon Dexter's Laboratory. I haven't proven any of this conclusively yet, but the data I have compiled thus far is promising, most promising.

I have entirely too much free time on my freakin' hands man. You like shrimp, I like shrimp...

RDRush

Quote from: DarkWolf on September 10, 2011, 12:29:15 AM
Quote from: TmX on September 07, 2011, 04:29:18 AM

Who said STABLE was bleeding edge ?

Debian still doesn't have the latest stable release of wine and Ubuntu never updated the last LTS with the recent Stable release (even when that LTS was still supported). Ubuntu seemed to have dropped support for anything when they came up with that ppa crap. Anything still on the older deb repo based system was quietly not supported. You could only get Stable releases if you used the ppa system.

PPA is crap. Then the WINE maintainer for Ubuntu packages did some dumbass move by using the official Ubuntu PPA as the WINE PPA. So the only to get the "official" WINE package is from the Ubuntu PPA which is actually the "officail" Ubuntu package. Confused yet ?

Call me old fashioned or aged ignorant, but stable meant that it was production and commercial quality where you get, it runs and you have no head-aches. Bleeding edge was state of the art technology like a push pin on the map of new horizons and undiscovered territory.

Now, it seems that stable implies that you'll need no more than 3 service packs and 150 hot-fixes or one to two full installation upgrades in order to reliably utilize the newest technology in text editor software. notepad meets robocop -- bonus or is it bone us -- I always get the two mixed up.

Bleeding edge means, in the current age, means after you install and run the system you can look forward to irrepairable master file tables and underexposed system disk bitmap images and stuttering descriptor entries and sorry -- you're ass out on any and all help because we said so; don't be stingy with the bug reports if you can read garbled Unicode -- do be a gem and get us that report would you -- you're beautiful.

All this and 50% more at no additional cost, connection fees, data usage fees, oxygen tax and wart cream fees may apply. Don't forget the band aids -- sold separately. Actual sizes may vary just ask their girlfriends.

Farabi

I dont know about you, but my Linux OS is connected faster than my Windows when using internet. I dont use any accelerator.
Those who had universe knowledges can control the world by a micro processor.
http://www.wix.com/farabio/firstpage

"Etos siperi elegi"

DarkWolf

Quote from: RDRush on September 10, 2011, 01:34:58 AM

Call me old fashioned or aged ignorant, but stable meant that it was production and commercial quality where you get, it runs and you have no head-aches.

You are old fashioned and aged ignorant.

But then I guess so am I.
--