News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Accessing SIMM cards

Started by Don57, June 22, 2011, 08:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don57

I was thinking about writting an app to access telephone simm cards. I have 3 daughters who are allways losing their phones, and therfore all their phone numbers. I can access everything on the I Phone, but on the cheaper phones I have no access to the stored numbers. I was wondering if anybody has any ideas. I'm not sure if this would violate forum rules or not. Thanks.

dedndave

i saw the movie "The Bourne Identity"
he had a nifty little gadget that would read em   :P

BogdanOntanu

Usually there are applications or menu options on the phone that allow you to save all numbers on an PC via an USB cable or Bluetooth.

After the phone is lost and a new one is available your can transfer back the numbers to the new phone.

Accessing the SIM card directly would be against the rules of those forums ;)
Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

Twister

Quote from: BogdanOntanu on June 23, 2011, 06:41:18 AM

Why is that? I bought the chip, therefore it becomes my property. I should be able to choose how I want to (mis)use ( :wink ) my property.

BogdanOntanu

Quote from: Horton on June 23, 2011, 06:45:34 AM

Why is that? I bought the chip, therefore it becomes my property. I should be able to choose how I want to (mis)use ( :wink ) my property.

Legally speaking:
1) You have NOT bought the software inside the device. It is only licensed to you under certain conditions ... and you are not allowed to reverse engineer it.
2) The new laws about Digital Act/ rights management say that any attempt to circumvent a software protection is illegal and will be punished no matter the means used to circumvent the protection.

But all this kind of argumentation is completely irrelevant for those forums because here you must respect the forum rules.
And the forum rules state that we do not accept reverse engineering and hacking questions/answers here... end of story.

On those forums Hutch is "God" and he establishes the RULES because it is his "real life" on the line.

You are just an internet ID here bearing no responsibility and hence you can afford to play the childish game of "I am free to do as I please".

Give us all your real name and address and bank accounts and let us put you in prison and slave labor IF you break any law and then we will talk about "freedom" ... even better: fell free to make your own forum registered in your real name... until then YOU MUST RESPECT the rules of this forum if you want to use it.

Any attempts at not to respecting the rules ... no matter how "subtle" or "ideological" in nature ...  will be blocked, erased and abused without prior notice as the moderators like :D :D :D

BTW there are a lot of reverse forums on the net that talk about this kind of stuff and we all know them... and we probably read them.
We simply want to keep THIS forum free of this kind of "non sense" content ... in what way is this hard to understand?
Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

bozo

Quote from: Don57I was thinking about writting an app to access telephone simm cards. I have 3 daughters who are allways losing their phones, and therfore all their phone numbers. I can access everything on the I Phone, but on the cheaper phones I have no access to the stored numbers. I was wondering if anybody has any ideas. I'm not sure if this would violate forum rules or not. Thanks.

AT commands probably, that's how most of the older phones worked.
I've always wanted to do this myself for forensic purposes but never got around to it yet.
IIRC there are some Windows API or atleast DLL you can download which export the API you could use to get the job done.

Quote from: BogdanOntanuAccessing the SIM card directly would be against the rules of those forums ;)

I wouldn't consider such actions as "hacking" TBH.
IMHO, there are many legitimate reasons you would need to access sim card through your own software.
I'd consider backing up phone book legitimate but if the person were trying to "unlock" so it could be used on any carrier, that's definitely in the realm of hacking.

sinsi

Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

dedndave

that's not a bad price, sinsi   :U

Tedd

There are devices you can buy that will back-up the phonebook from a SIM - it's entirely legal as it does nothing more than access the entries in the same way a phone would.
However, this is only useful if the numbers are actually stored ON the SIM, which, in general, they're not as this limits the additional features that can be attached to those numbers. Though they can be explicitly copied to it.

Alternatively, most phones will offer the option to share contacts via bluetooth. Unfortunately, this may be in the painful form of one contact at a time. But still, it's nothing more than a file transfer - usually in VCard format - that you can collect and archive to a compressed file.

And, after all of that.. most manufacturers offer free data management applications for their phones - for the purposes of backing up the phonebook, calendar dates, transferring pictures/music/etc, ...
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

Twister

BogdanOntanu,

You wouldn't need to circumvent the software embedded on the chip with --- removed --- Happy? This method breaks no laws.

Fine. I'll keep this "non-sense" off these forums.

donkey

To me, and I speak only for myself, a SIM card is nothing more than a storage medium. If reading it violates the rules of the forum then so does any information regarding low level access to SD cards or PCMCIA cards, after all you own both the card and the information it contains and backing up your own data is perfectly legal. Since the TAPI SIM header file is available for download (TelSim.h of the Telephony Framework API) and both the interface and data structures are not only well documented and available to the general public but also standardized throughout the industry, I can see no violation of the DMCA. That said, there is no existing PC that I know of with a SIM card reader so this becomes a hardware issue and as such may be outside the scope of this forum.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

vanjast

Quote from: Horton on June 23, 2011, 06:45:34 AM

Why is that?
Coz people like Msoft and others claim that you must pay for their goods, never own it, and when it stuffs up your life completely, even when it's their own fault....It's your fault.

Not fair, but there are people who do make it fair... :)

clive

Quote from: donkeya SIM card is nothing more than a storage medium.

Yes, a storage medium and a file system. The wireless modems provide AT commands to enumerate the "files".

I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. Nobody is asking how to crack the PIN/PUK codes FFS.
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.

hfheatherfox07

Quote from: Don57 on June 22, 2011, 08:35:37 PM
I was thinking about writting an app to access telephone simm cards. I have 3 daughters who are allways losing their phones, and therfore all their phone numbers. I can access everything on the I Phone, but on the cheaper phones I have no access to the stored numbers. I was wondering if anybody has any ideas. I'm not sure if this would violate forum rules or not. Thanks.

Hi, I have a little knowledge in this, since I had to access my own phone which I bought...Funny thing , when I called tech support they informed me to do it this way so I did...
Nothing Illegal about this....
-First you must know that you need a driver for the particular phone, for example a Motorola phone needs to a Motorola driver, etc.....
-Second .... the actual tool ( which is what you want to write to access telephone simm cards) ....
Well this is easy.... you know what phone you have so download the driver that you need off their site, second you use "p2k commander" to access the telephone simm cards...

well lately the developers of the "p2k commander"  have decided to release the source code (MASM)..... this web site should get you going....  http://www.el-co.hu/smf/

Also here is an example of reading my phone....( p2k commander included !!!)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M13UVWYY

And what you wanted in ASM (it came from the web site that I linked above  :U), did not have a chance to assemble yet my self but here is the zip of what you wanted:  :P

hfheatherfox07

There should also be an Assembly for the whole software ( all in MASM)  but the links are dead , so I let the moderator of that site know, and also E mailed him ...and hopefully they will re-upload...