Experiment confirms space time warping by means of gravity exist

Started by oex, May 04, 2011, 09:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oex

It's official! Gravity does exist!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13286241

(Just in case you had any doubts....)....

No doubt there will be repeated updates on my favorite channel in the entire solar system:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Currently there are only 299 viewers on air.... I guess the other 298 work for NASA.... Considering there are 6 billion people in the world however this is rather disappointing....

All I can say is on my planet we love your show NASA ;)

For us it's kinda a cult show like the flintstones

PS. Maybe if there were more space wars with starfighters and warp drive you'd up the ratings.... Dont you guys read the wiki?

We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

http://www.hereford.tv

baltoro

PETER-
You know that BBC News page was updated since yesterday. I actually went over to the site: Physical Review Letters to try to find the article that the BBC News report describes. Couldn't find it,....and, now, I know why.
Baltoro

dedndave

the BBC is on top of things
they probably learned that grabity is a hoax perpetrated by conspiracy theorists

baltoro

Quote from: DAVE...they probably learned that gravity is a hoax perpetrated by conspiracy theorists,...
...Yeah,...I was just getting to that. But, the moderators all expect me to pre-delete my profundities,...anything with the potential for commercial exploitation or litigation,...
:eek ...Wouldn't it be, like,...TOTALLY COOL if you could alter gravity's effect with a Wah-Wah Pedal ??? :eek
Baltoro

oex

.... All I can suggest is that you go outside and throw something directly up and keep watching it until it hits something.... I can assure you it's stunning!!!!

PS. For those sad schmucks that havent ever seen a live space launch.... I recommend you get high and watch one of only 2 ever left on NASA TV with the space shuttles.... Normally I would not suggest such a thing.... I am tangented to drugs these days however one experience I will always remember outside of flying was truely appreciating in a completely meaning of life sense the fundamental achievement that is viewing the perspective of the planet from earth to the edge of the atmosphere....

I know I will never experience this in real life so this is probably the one time I would recommend an 'out of body' experience :lol

PPS. Nothing stronger than w33d!!!!

PPPS. Early drugs use is officially recognised as an Obamanation!!!!
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

baltoro

...If, you listen to both of these songs (simultaneously), your quest for elightenment will be fulfilled: Eight Miles High, and, Mr. Spaceman.
Baltoro

vanjast

Quote from: oex on May 04, 2011, 09:58:03 PM
It's official! Gravity does exist!
Incredible... this is star wars stuff. Did you know that the universe is 500 miles wide !!  :toothy

xanatose

The title is a bit missleading.
A better one would have being "Experiment confirms space time warping by means of gravity exist."

That said, this is actually interesting.

oex

Quote from: xanatose on May 12, 2011, 04:32:17 AM
The title is a bit missleading.
A better one would have being "Experiment confirms space time warping by means of gravity exist."

That said, this is actually interesting.

:lol You know me.... An expert of understatement....

vanjast

but,.. we knew this about 50 or so years ago.. ??
Maybe it just better technology to confirm what we know... Now there' a plan.  :green2

I worked in a research institution for many years and a local TV soapie has nothing on the politics of 'research fellows'.
Soapie script writers (or politicians) are clueless on 'how to do it with vaseline'..  :bg

FORTRANS

Quote from: vanjast on May 12, 2011, 09:27:05 AM

Hi,

The experiment was conceived ~59 years ago.  General
Relativity was proposed around 1916 IIRC.  There have been
indirect indications of frame dragging from neutron stars and the
like.  Depending on your belief system, this is the first experiment
to show these effects of General Relativity directly.  And so,
the first time we "knew" it to be correct.  Most would say it
merely confirms what we already "knew".

Maybe it just better technology to confirm what we know... Now there' a plan.

Well the technology is quite impressive.  And it does confirm
two predictions of General Relativity in an elegant way.  And the
spin-offs have proven useful.

Cheers.

Steve N.

xanatose

Quote from: vanjast on May 12, 2011, 09:27:05 AM
Maybe it just better technology to confirm what we know... Now there' a plan.  :green2
Until an experiment confirms a theory there is no "we know this", there is however a "we believe this". Confirmation by experiment is the edge between known and believed. 

vanjast

Experimental proof is always statistical... and never really confirms anything absolute  :wink
Sure, we get a lot of people bleating 'god' in research journals such as Nature and others...  but!!!..  :wink