News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Free Pascal 2.0 Released

Started by Randall Hyde, May 16, 2005, 11:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall Hyde

Free Pascal 2.0 (GPL'd, open source, etc., etc.) has been released. You can find a copy at www.freepascal.org. Includes the ability to emit Gas or Nasm assembly code. Also supports assembly language (in-line).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

hutch--

Just to diluet my ignorance, is there a Windows 32 bit version of GAS ?
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Vortex

There is also another compiler named Virtual Pascal compatible with Borland Pascal.

Randall Hyde

Quote from: hutch-- on May 16, 2005, 11:54:39 PM
Just to diluet my ignorance, is there a Windows 32 bit version of GAS ?

Yep. And I believe that it comes with the Free Pascal package, as a matter of fact. I've generally used the Cygwin version, myself (e.g., for test Gas output from HLA). Generally, though, you have to use LD to process GAS output (i.e., the versions I've seen do not produce MS-COFF compatible OBJ files).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

MichaelW

According to this, Virtual Pascal is now dead. I thought this part was interesting:
The reasons for the inactivity are many, but among the main ones are
- VP's compiler codebase has become obsolete. It's written in assembly code, and adding new functionality to the compiler realistically requires that it's written in a higher level language,
eschew obfuscation

Randall Hyde

Quote from: MichaelW on May 18, 2005, 06:09:08 AM
According to this, Virtual Pascal is now dead. I thought this part was interesting:
The reasons for the inactivity are many, but among the main ones are
- VP's compiler codebase has become obsolete. It's written in assembly code, and adding new functionality to the compiler realistically requires that it's written in a higher level language,

Of course, this was immediately followed by the statement:
- I don't have the time or even knowledge to rewrite large portions of VP (Vitaly wrote the compiler and is generally much cleverer than me),
Which kind of explains the problem. :-)

There was an interesting comment about the code being based on Borland's code (hence, no open souce). I wonder what the story behind VP is?
cheers,

Randy Hyde