MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Debugging using EasyCode or RadASM

Started by sk, April 22, 2011, 08:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sk

Hi all,
As and old Java veteran (10 years +)  I am just starting to pave my way into Assembly IDE's and into choosing an IDE for debugging purposes.
I installed RadASM, EasyCode and WinAsm and successfully compiled, linked and executed a simple console application on all IDE's.

What I am missing or overlooking is the ability to debug while setting break-point(s) inside the code and stepping through it. Using Visual C++ (see the attached image) or any Java IDE this is easily accomplished ...  however I fail to find the way doing it with any of the IDE's I mentioned. I did configure OLLY and IDA pro as external debuggers, but of course anyone who is familiar with these knows that they do not actually display the original source code side by side with the dis-assembly window.

Any help would be appreciated,

S.

jj2007

Quote from: sk on April 22, 2011, 08:31:28 PM
of course anyone who is familiar with these knows that they do not actually display the original source code side by side with the dis-assembly window.

Olly does, but it's kind of a well-hidden trick, see here.

sk

Hi thanks man,
Yes I am familiar with that feature, for those who want to see the full set-up with OLLY follow : http://forum.codecall.net/assembly-tutorials/26853-simple-message-box-program.html and scroll down.   

However I am interested to know if there is a built-in option such as the one in VC.

S.

BogdanOntanu

Well to be honest none of the very good  ASM IDE's is capable to perform source level debugging at professional Visual Studio levels.

If you want that then your only solution is using Visual Studio as an IDE for MASM. It is kind of tricky to setup but possible and then you will be rewarded with the standard VS environment and debugger.

The alternative is indeed Ollydbg v1.10 (32 bits only) but here the focus is on reversing and hence the main window is the disassembly window and the source window is just an accessory ;) (but a useful and functional one)
Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

sk

I do have a working Visual Studio env as an IDE for MASM (using the Irvine tutorial), however code completion is NOT supported (intellisense), and it cripples and slows down my work.