Microsoft has ceased development of the Windows operating system

Started by Magnum, April 02, 2011, 03:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drizz

oh, c'mon Magnum...
Quote from: infoworld.com/t/misadventures/shocker-redmond-microsoft-turns-linux-020April 01, 2011
The truth cannot be learned ... it can only be recognized.

Magnum

Quote from: drizz on April 02, 2011, 04:09:22 PM
oh, c'mon Magnum...
Quote from: infoworld.com/t/misadventures/shocker-redmond-microsoft-turns-linux-020April 01, 2011

O.K., I guess I am slow.

Have a great day,
                         Andy

Bill Cravener

My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

jj2007

Quote from: Magnum on April 02, 2011, 03:50:54 PM
Is this for real or a hoax ?

Real, absolutely real. They ceased developing Windows, but they continue bloating it.

sinsi

From Bill's link
QuoteWindows 8 will operate on the ARM microchip architecture
Just hope that MS don't dumb down win8 so it looks good on the ARM.
That's what has been happening with games, make them for the consoles (i.e. not the PC) then port it back.
I showed my nephew Black Ops on my PC and he didn't recognise it, even though he plays it on a console...

heh, jj, who cares about bloat in the era of a hard drive that is bigger than 2TB? Except us  :bg
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

xanatose

I read somewhere that the continue change of API without reason is what made more and more developers seek web applications instead of windows applications. One thing  adding an improving an existing API, another different one is change technologies to new ones that do exactly the same thing every 2 years or so. Thereof making windows less and less relevant. If they continue to do so, they will loose their reign in the PC. Hopefully by then they will have a reign in robotics (but thats another story).

I guess its a part of life of huge software companies. The more people, the more people want to do things differently, and the less management has a vision of the whole thing. Resulting on creation of bloat and reinvention of the wheel many times over in different areas. Of course, since you have money, you can make it seem as a positive, the new silver bullet that will cure cancer and make you coffee at the same time.

Heck even single developers (like myself) have the temptation of scratch the code and star over, even if one knows most of the time is better to not do so (as the code made is already debugged). Imagine that multiply by the 13,000 or so developers in Microsoft.  No mater how good is your company managing people, bloat, scratching and reinvention will occur when you are at that scale.