dedndave

my bad Edgar   :lol
i didn't notice that it says "Sony Corporation" in the title bar

donkey

Quote from: lingo on March 21, 2011, 02:54:33 PM
mine says nothing (see the picture).
My mobo is Asus P8P67 Pro.

:bg

Its not that it says nothing, that would be a blank in both the title and the message. It says "System Manufacturer" and "System Product Name", guess they couldn't be bothered to enter the information and left it at SMBIOS defaults or something. Probably left the fields like that so OEM system builders could change them later, bet you the SMBIOS is FLASH on your mobo.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

donkey

<post removed>
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Vortex

Hi donkey,

Your code works fine on my Intel board.

FORTRANS

Hi,

Screenshot of result.  Not sure if that's what you wouls expect
from Windows 2000

Regards,

Steve

donkey

Hi Steve,

Not completely sure it's Win2K compatible but it should work from Win2k pro. If it is then there are 2 possibilities, first that the PC was built more than 8 or 9 years ago, second that it just doesn't have any information stored in the SMBIOS section. Be sure you use the first version in this thread, I've removed the second one so there is no confusion.
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

FORTRANS

Hi,

I ran both with the same result.  And yes it was built about
ten years ago.

Regards,

Steve N.

donkey

Quote from: FORTRANS on March 21, 2011, 07:30:38 PM
Hi,

I ran both with the same result.  And yes it was built about
ten years ago.

Regards,

Steve N.

No SMBIOS is the most likely answer then.
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

MichaelW

I get the same result on my ~11-year old Windows 2000 Pro system, and it definitely has an SMBIOS. Here is the output for an unfinished application that accesses the SMBIOS data:

SMBIOS version: 2.3
structure table length: 1392
structure table address: 000F1F30
structure table number of structures: 48

BCD revision: 00000023

Linear address: 007C1F30

SMB_BIOS_INFO structure address: 007C1F30
vendor: Award Software, Inc.
version: ASUS P3V4X ACPI BIOS Revision 1005
release date: 06/12/2000

SMB_TYPE_SYSTEM_INFO serial number SYS-1234567890

SMB_PROCESSOR_INFO structure address: 007C2077
socket: SLOT 1
type: PITYPE_CENTRAL
family: Pentium III processor
manufacturer: genuine intel

It's a Win32 application that uses WinIo to access memory. I abandoned it after I determined that the method does not work under Windows XP. Where under Windows 2000 WinIo can access the bottom 1MB, under Windows XP it can access only the bottom 4KB.
eschew obfuscation

donkey

Hi Michael,

I am not sure why WMI is unable to read the information but this was never a project for me personally so I didn't go too deeply into it, it was just a way to get the information without using the registry or oeminfo.ini file which can be modified by the user. I expect that you can use GetSystemFirmwareTable for older SMBIOS versions though parsing the data might be difficult and I am not completely clear as to whether it can be used on newer versions of Windows outside of Kernel mode. This is the article I used from Ray Chen's blog when I was writing the snippet:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2008/12/18/9233149.aspx
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

FORTRANS

Hi,

Given Michael's results, the wonders of Google, and DEBUG
I think I have a SMBIOS version 2.2.

Regards,

Steve N.

Shooter

Edgar,
I used your program on the server and three of the computers I replaced today (old and new)... seems to work fine on the new and old computers, but it didn't work on the server (there's a chance I have that backwards). I snapped a pic of it but forgot to put the bitmap on my thumbdrive before leaving the base, so I can't tell exactly what it's reading in. I suppose it could be possible that the 'computer in question' is too old as it's going to be replaced. I'll try to remember tomorrow to grab the bitmap (I caught a head cold and my mind is a little, ok a lot wondering this evening).

-Shooter
Never use direct references to anything ever. Bury everything in
macros. Bury the macros in include files. Reference those include
files indirectly from other include files. Use macros to reference
those include files.

donkey

Quote from: FORTRANS on March 21, 2011, 09:20:59 PM
Hi,

Given Michael's results, the wonders of Google, and DEBUG
I think I have a SMBIOS version 2.2.

Regards,

Steve N.

From what I have read support starts with SMBIOS version 2.4 (July 2004) and XP SP2.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463136

Quote from: From the attached file in the link aboveSystem identification using the Microsoft SMBIOS driver depends on specific features of SMBIOS. The requirements for system identification are:
·   System SMBIOS implementation must be Version 2.4 or greater.
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

FORTRANS

Hi,

Well that would certainly explain that dull result of mine.

Thanks,

Steve