MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

batch file

Started by briar, May 08, 2005, 12:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

briar

hello all,

I am trying to build a boot loader for a multiboot cd. there are a few programs out there already that do this, only i wanted to build one myself. the ones out there now are cdshell and easyboot. they have many restrictions such as needing specific folders on the cd you are building and other anoying things. they incorporate a file loader.bin which is free including assembler source. loader.bin looks in the specific folder BOOT and loads a boot menu. this has a full command base and modules and alot of crap i dont need. what i want to do is have the file loader.bin boot the computer from the cdrom and load a batch file which provides you with your menu. can anyone help me on the source code for loading a batch file. im sure it's simple but im kinda stuck. Thank you in advance.

Briar

thomasantony

Hi,
   A batch file works in DOS. You wil have to intrepret the batch file command s yourself when you are making a boot loader

Thomas :U
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Programmer's Directory. Submit for free

Vortex

Hi briar,

Welcome to the forum.

Have a look at Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD, it has some very insteresting stuff.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder

pbrennick

Erol.
A problem.  I have XP and I have downloaded both the exe and the zip versions.  Both crash my machine in a way I have not seen in a long, long time.  The blue screen of death still lives!  It only pops up for a split second and then the machine reboots.  XP never did that!!  No error log or nothing...

Paul

Vortex

Hi Paul,

I download the exe version and it runned successfully on my Win Xp Home Sp2 and on Win Xp Pro Sp2 ( at work ) I sorry to learn that the application crashed your machine.

Is there anyway that I can help you? Did you slipstream your Microsoft Windows installation CD with the latest service pack? This is an important step before creating the boot CD.

pbrennick

Erol,
I always appreciate help.  I am not sure if even when I get it to start if it will work because Sony issues a recovery CD, not a WINXP CD, boy, does that bug me.  I am being flooded with email from lots of nice people and I have been working on Chars archive problem and I am making a Chinese version of EasyCode, so if you can do you mind contacting them and posting my problem?  It is a Sony laptop (PCG-FXA47).  They can use that number if they wish to talk to Sony.  It is built using a rescue CD onto an NTFS partition with SP2 installed on top.  If that is too much to ask, I understand.  I may rebuild just in case that is the problem.  Ask them if there is a way I can read what is being reported on that blue screen.  If I know what the problem is, I can probably fix it.

Paul

pbrennick

Erol,
I am almost done.  SP1 is in and I am now going to instal SP2.  Then I will try it again.

Paul

briar

Quote from: thomasantony on May 08, 2005, 08:40:09 AM
Hi,
   A batch file works in DOS. You wil have to intrepret the batch file command s yourself when you are making a boot loader

Thomas :U

Not doubting, but then how does a 98 boot disk run autoexec.bat? and what about the code to load a batch file, any idea's? Thanks,
Briar

hutch--

All dos boot disks have IO.SYS and command.com.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

pbrennick

... and 98 loads on top of DOS.  Newer operating systems no longer load on top of DOS.

Paul